jQuery not supported.

looking for accessory switched power

looking for accessory switched power

Postby rshamp [OP] » Apr 10 2010, 9:07pm

I am looking for a power source that is switched to run a light bar so it will go off with the key. in my old silverado I hit an empty fuse slot but on my 2010 I can't find any that go off with the key. Can anyone help me?
Original Poster
rshamp
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4x4 z71 crew 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  RAP (retained accessory power) Relay problem answered!   switched hot wire/   Switched Hot for aftermarket backup cam   Where to get accessory wire?   Need truck accessory help!   Exterior accessory help.   30 Amp Accessory???   Found some accessory deals!!!!!!   Favorite truck accessory   DIY accessory chrome?   Chevy accessory subwoofer question   TracRac - Accessory Adaptors (no thanks to Thule)   New 2014 Sierra Accessory Coming Soon   Automatic car washes, what accessory did you lose?  
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: looking for accessory switched power

Postby cobra19946 » Apr 11 2010, 12:21am

Good Luck! i am having the same problem! i asked the dealership to show me one and they said they cant because it will void the warranty, so i asked my uncle who is a mechanic and even he couldnt find one without taking the whole dash out.
cobra19946
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Custom_car_creations » Apr 12 2010, 2:53am

If you take the knee bolster off you will find a harness coming out of the ignition switch. You will find a brown wire and it will be switched power.
Custom_car_creations
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4.8v8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rshamp [OP] » Apr 12 2010, 5:30am

I really don't want to cut and splice wires. Is their any fuses that go cold with the key?
Original Poster
rshamp
Extra Info: 4x4 z71 crew 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Custom_car_creations » Apr 14 2010, 2:27am

If you have a test light you can test for one in the fuse panel to the left of the dash.
Custom_car_creations
Extra Info: 4.8v8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tx1tek » Apr 21 2010, 6:00am

I just found one for my GPS. Open your main fuse panel under the driver's side hood. You will see a four pin relay holder for your rear window defroster (If you don't have the defroster option) The inboard terminal will be hot with key on. If you have rear defroster, of course this won't work because the receptacle is already in use. Maybe try the brown wire from your ignition would be easier.
tx1tek
Topics: 1
Year: 2000
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2010WorkSierra » May 07 2012, 3:20am

Here was my solution:

In the under hood fuse box, on my 2010 Sierra, I used the "misc ign" 10 amp fuse, which was fuse #43 on mine but may be different on other models. Get a Bussman "Add-A-Circuit" fuse connector and either only use the top fuse slot at 10 amps, or split the difference however you need based on your equipment in your truck. However you do it, I would suggest not going over a total of 10 amps between the top and bottom fuse. The wiring on that circuit isn't rated for it, or the fuse would have been bigger on that circuit to begin with. I couldn't find anything powered through this circuit on my particular model, but I still used a 7.5 amp fuse in the bottom position, and a 2 amp fuse in the top position (as I am only powering a relay coil in my setup).

If you do need more power, you can also still use this circuit to switch a relay such a Fancke JD1914J (12V 100mA coil, SPDT relay) and routed power through it from one of the two studs at the front of the underhood fuse panel. One mine these studs are connected to fuses 63 and 68, but again, this may differ on your model. The fuses were labeled as Stud 1 and Stud 2.

A note on the "Add-A-Circuit" Bussman connector. Make sure you plug them in the correct direction so that the lead going out from the top is opposite the fuse pin which supplies the voltage. This will ensure the fuse is inline with the circuit and providing protection. You may also want to step down the ratings on the fuses for the stud 1 or 2 if you are going to run this into the cab, as you most likely aren't going to run anything in the cab at 30 or 40 amps and I can't find anything smaller than a 20A FMX style fuse (Maxi Fuse).

I used the relay setup, and powered off the stud circuit (using a 20 amp fuse on the stud) into the cab, where I placed a Bussman 6 position ATC fuse block. From this I can power multiple items that turn on in the accessory position and off when the key is off.

Btw... I would seriously love to kick the hind quarters of the decision makers at GM for making me figure this out. Put a damn accessory fused position in the cab we can use like there used to be. You engineers are not God, and we don' t need you to save us from ourselves.
2010WorkSierra
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Extra Info: Crew Cab Work Truck
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2010WorkSierra » Jul 23 2012, 11:27pm

Here's a brief rundown of what I've done....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsfpAiI ... ature=plcp
2010WorkSierra
Extra Info: Crew Cab Work Truck
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tcarr25 » Jul 24 2012, 2:25am

I was having the same problem for my Kc lights. I found one that has a fuse in it but its for a lift gate which of course silverados don't have. It's a red 10 amp fuse I can't remember the number though but its switched controlled.
tcarr25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 36
Blogs: 3
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 5.3 LT Z71 Ec
Group Membership:
Registered users