jQuery not supported.

random battery dead, other electrical problems

random battery dead, other electrical problems

Postby lilnicky89 [OP] » Mar 23 2012, 12:57am

so ive got an 07 silverado nbs and im having problems with the battery randomly dying. it has also been doing other things like the locks will lock and unlock them selves randomly, roll up a window and the cruise control will shut off, service air bag light , service stabilitrac light, and some more random things. i figure its a short somewhere and im willing to bet it has something to do with the dealership taking the heated windshield wiper fluid out, and the battery and alternator checks out. anyone know where i should look and if anyone elseis having the same issue? i cant afford to be late again because i hop in my truck and it decides its not gunna crank lol
Original Poster
lilnicky89
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 nbs z71 lt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: random battery dead, other electrical problems

Postby ASTE25 » Mar 23 2012, 2:26am

You may have a bad ground somewhere. If the battery itself is bad, sometimes they will cause the electrical system to do some strange things.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby lilnicky89 [OP] » Mar 23 2012, 2:38am

thats what i was thinking. ive been sick but i did a short look over on it today and from what i saw and the grounds i looked at, they seem to be ok. but then again it wasnt very thorough. im trying to find a site where i can plug in the tsb code in and find what the general way of fixing the problem is. i have a sub hooked up and i thought the short may get fixed if i disconnected the amp and all but i continued having the same problems after so i know it isnt that. after some research i feel like the heated windshield wiper fluid could have caused it because it was recalled cause it rubbed up on the main ground( i dunno how i ended up with a truck with heated wiper fluid cause i live in texas lol seems pointless)
Original Poster
lilnicky89
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby finatic95 » Mar 28 2012, 2:07am

Let me know if you find anything. I am having what seems to be the same problem. While driving, the radio turns on and off, dash lights go dim, doors lock / unlock, all while driving. Then when I park and turn the truck off, it goes completely dead. Nothing works, not a single light, remote doesn't lock the doors, doesn't turn over with the key. After sitting a while, anywhere from 20 minutes to 12 hours, it will have power and start right up. And this happens intermittenly, can be weeks in between episodes. Help!
finatic95
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SL 1500
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby Damion » Mar 29 2012, 12:33am

Im not sure if its the same or not, but the 2000 Blazer I had was doing the same thing. After some hunting around I found that the main battery power lead had an ANL fuse in it under the battery tray. The connections to the fuse were badly corroded. Cleaned them up and put some grease to protect it from happening again and the truck worked great ever since.

I dont know if the silvy's and sierras have this fuse also ( havnt had to tear into it yet ) But at least its a place to start looking??
Damion
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TiredMedic » Mar 29 2012, 12:43am

I'm having the same issue with my 07' 4.8 silverado. just went dead today. I haven't dug into check what it may be but i figure i need to first check to see if the ground is okay. not sure where to go after that though. it died literally over night...maybe 12 hours of sitting. i still have a warranty on it so i might just bring it in for the dealer to look at. if they come up with something ill let you folks know.
Hey you, Bub.
TiredMedic
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 4.8L z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lilnicky89 [OP] » Mar 29 2012, 7:55am

so far all i have found to work is parking with the front end sticking out in a parking lot easily being able to be jump started. and checking all your grounds. probably the reason for all of this. if i wouldnt be in the hole for selling it i would also recommend selling it. ive had more problems with my 07 chevy than ive had with my 01 ford. the ford got rolled over at least three times and ran like a champ til i sold it. the chevy has had at least 4000 dollars worth of fixing since i got it.about 50000 miles ago. the ford had (besides oil changes and general maintenance) maybe 3500 dollars worth of work within 140000 miles. if i had known the truck was gunna have this many problems i wouldve put the money i had into restoring the ford and saying no to a new truck to be honest. i drove the ford hard, even babying the chevy it just has two problems after the other
Original Poster
lilnicky89
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TiredMedic » Mar 29 2012, 8:41pm

well that's disheartening lol. i would be to far in the hole selling it. once i get it jumped im taking it to the dealer and letting them know whats going on. i've had other problems recently that they'll need to look at, eg: cruise control decides when it does and doesn't want to work.
Hey you, Bub.
TiredMedic
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lilnicky89 [OP] » Mar 30 2012, 4:51am

Lol kinda venting on that last post. But I've had the cruise control problem too. But it's also sometimes turning off when I roll up a window . And my headlights turn off while driving. The only thing I've found to work when that happens is turning the fog lights on
Original Poster
lilnicky89
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TiredMedic » Mar 30 2012, 5:59am

lilnicky89 wrote:Lol kinda venting on that last post. But I've had the cruise control problem too. But it's also sometimes turning off when I roll up a window . And my headlights turn off while driving. The only thing I've found to work when that happens is turning the fog lights on

sounds like you need a shop :/.. maybe there's a recall you didn't do that's causing these problems. I'm pretty sure my truck still has the windshield wiper fluid heater.
Hey you, Bub.
TiredMedic
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Electrical