jQuery not supported.

Rear window switches not working properly

Rear window switches not working properly

Postby jquest [OP] » Jan 18 2012, 2:07pm

Morning fellas,
I just picked up a 08 sierra CC. Here is my problem. My window switch on both rear doors are not working properly. The windows go down ,but they don't go up unless I play with the switch and wiggle them and force the switch a little. Really don't want to be doing that all the time. They work fine from the master control ,so it's no big issue, but I would like to get them fixed. Does the little plate they are mounted on out " pop out" or do i have to take the whole panel apart?
Here is a pic.
http://www.silveradosierra.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=1659
Original Poster
jquest
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE CC 1500 W 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Rear window switches not working properly

Postby Gilgamesh » Jan 19 2012, 2:45am

I don't really remember if you can just pop a small flat screw driver in the front and pry it up or not. Can try it, but if you feel resistance stop. Honestly it's not hard to take your trim panel off. You're door lock has a cap that you pry out to release it. Its really small square facing you on the lock. Take the cover off the bolts behind the hand grip. Should just get in behind it and pry it out. Take those 2 10mm bolts out, then the one behind your door handle. Your door handle comes off with the trim panel. Once the door lock piece and the 3 bolts are out pry out on the bottom of the trim panel and it'll pop off. Just give it a good yank til all the cilps pop out. There is a cable going to your door handle you'll have to release with a needle nose pliers. Then just the cable that goes to your window switch.
Gilgamesh
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jquest [OP] » Jan 19 2012, 1:55pm

Thank you for the replay. I finally got it with your suggestion. I grabbed a credit card and slipped it under the front of the switch area and I was able to wedge it in. AFter I moved it a bit I was able to use my fingers to slowly wiggle the whole switch assembly piece up and out. See my window3 pic in the galary. AFter I did that I decdied to pry open the switch. I'm an electronics tech and I know components, electrical diagrams and contections. In the window4 pic you can see the pc board that goes into the switch. Once you get it apart you can use some 1200 grit paper and sand the contacts on the board (window 4 pic). I highlighted the contacts and the contacts on the rubber cover (window 7 pic) With your finger you can push out the contact and clean it on the sandpaper. Just a bit. Then grab some alcohol and clean up to make sure any dust is cleaned off.After you do all that you can place the switch, just the switch no assembly,back into the car harness. The plastic cover with the contacts fit contoured right on top of the pcboard where it's supposed to sit. You can turn the ignition and by pressing down over the plastic you can see if the window will go up and down and confirm that the contacts are clean and the window is fully functional - before you assemble to the whole thing. After verifying the window is working...turn the key back to the off position and you can disconnect the board and snap it back into the cover that is still attached to the assembly. Then just plug it back in, turn the key again to make sure everything is aligned and working and then just snap it back into the door molding.
Now if you're into electronics or want try this.... then this will save you some coin. You can also just get the switch and replace it. Ebay part number 25877777. If your truck has the one that lights up then it's 25877776. So now my two back windows are working again and I saved myself some coin. :mrgreen:
Original Poster
jquest
Topics: 4
Year: 2008
Extra Info: SLE CC 1500 W 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RayM » Feb 14 2013, 5:05am

Many thanks, jquest! Thanks to your detailed post with gallery photos, I was able to clean my switches without spending a dime, and it took less than 30 minutes. I'm new to the forum and look forward to this site for help. I just traded for an '09 2500HD, 6.6, CrewCab. Like yours, my rear door windows would go down, not up. One search here, and problem solved. Followed your post word for word. Thanks again.
RayM
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.6 LMM
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djlove » Sep 13 2013, 2:36pm

Im having this problem but was also considering a mod.

My brother's ATS has a small LED light in the handle that is quite handy. Since your a electronics tech, do you think there is current in there that is supplied but not being used for the light up switch? I could tap that and epoxy an LED in the handle possibly? If your still around let me know what you think.
djlove
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical