jQuery not supported.

Security System won't let my truck start... Please Help ASAP

Security System shutting of my fuel pump.

Security System won't let my truck start... Please Help ASAP

Postby ianbaggarly [OP] » Feb 24 2012, 11:19pm

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I love the website :)
(Please read it all, you'll understand why I put it in electrical) :cry:
Ok my truck had given me troubles a couple of months ago with SOMETIMES not wanting to start. (would crank but not turnover, fuel tank was not engaging) But, I would sit for a few minutes or sometimes seconds and try again, and it would start right up.
It has recently gotten a lot more frequent, and now it is to the point where it won't start at all. (I thought the fuel pump was going out)
The security light would flash/be on.
I took it to my automotive class that I am in at school (senior in high school) and we reset the diagnostic codes, and the truck started up no problem, security light went off and everything. (BUT I had to hold down the kill switch under my steering wheel that is connected to the after market alarm system for the truck to start)
After driving it about 20 miles or a little more, my fuel pump stopped pumping while I was driving down the road. The truck will crank, but not turn over. This time, no matter how long I wait, it won't turn over.
So my automotive teacher said it's the alarm system (aftermarket alarm system that has been in there since I got the truck around 2 years ago)
The diagnostic tests show that I am getting a code for "ignition cylinder" or something like that... which is triggering the alarm system to kill the pump so I can't start the truck. (I guess it thinks I am trying to steal the truck)
So now I am in the process of trying to remove the alarm system and rewire all the wires so I don't have the fuel pump shut off by the alarm system. (just trying to REMOVE THE WHOLE ALARM SYSTEM)

And I will also mention, the same day that my truck stopped in the middle of the road, I had replaced the fuel level sensor because my fuel gauge was not working. (which was yesterday/last night)

Fuel pump works great, aside from the fact that it gets turned off by the alarm system. (So I'm pretty sure I don't need to replace the pump) I had done a fuel pressure test before it stopped running and it was giving perfect pressure.

Any help/suggestions or ANYTHING would be very much appreciated.
Is there maybe a way to unplug 1 wire from the alarm that leads to the pump and just reconnect it with the original pump wire so the alarm won't shut the pump off?

EDIT:
ALSO, FORGOT TO SAY...
About a year ago, I went to Lowe's to get some spare keys made for the truck. The first, second, third, all the way to 6th key would not start my truck. (I guess they just suckd at making my key.) Could this of triggered my alarm system? But it was so long ago... I don't see how it could be giving me problems NOW because of that...
Original Poster
ianbaggarly
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Security System won't let my truck start... Please Help

Postby ASTE25 » Feb 25 2012, 12:34am

I would definatly remove the aftermarket alarm and go from there. I have no idea how your alarm is wiried into your truck, so I do not know how to tell you to remove it.
Last edited by ASTE25 on Feb 25 2012, 1:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby ianbaggarly [OP] » Feb 25 2012, 12:42am

Yeh that's deffinetly what I'm gonna try doin first :/
Original Poster
ianbaggarly
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dhaynie » Feb 25 2012, 1:06am

Stock keys are coded so it will never start with the keys you got from Lowes. You have to go to the dealer for new keys and that will run you up to $150 depending on the dealer.
2006 LLZ 2500HD CCSB, Diablosport Predator, PCV Reroute, EGR Block, Finger Stick, LT3, Arctic White
dhaynie
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 6.6 Duramax CCSB 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ianbaggarly [OP] » Feb 25 2012, 1:26am

Yeh I knew that...but by the looks of my key I didn't think I had a chip. (I guess I was being really dumb)
I didn't know enough about it at the time anyways. I didn't think it would harm anything. (and apparently neither did the guy making my spare keys at lowe's, lol)
Original Poster
ianbaggarly
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Feb 25 2012, 2:42am

dhaynie wrote:Stock keys are coded so it will never start with the keys you got from Lowes. You have to go to the dealer for new keys and that will run you up to $150 depending on the dealer.

Although this is true, I do not think it is your only problem since it happened after you had already started the truck and it quit on you while driving.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby dhaynie » Feb 25 2012, 3:12am

I knew the key wasn't the issue, I was just informing him of the key issue. His alarm is the main issue.
Last edited by starspangled6.0 on Feb 25 2012, 3:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quotes.
2006 LLZ 2500HD CCSB, Diablosport Predator, PCV Reroute, EGR Block, Finger Stick, LT3, Arctic White
dhaynie
Topics: 3
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 6.6 Duramax CCSB 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ianbaggarly [OP] » Feb 25 2012, 6:49pm

I was told that since I reset the DTC codes, the security gave me only a certain amount of miles to drive until it would cut off the fuel pump again, since I was having that security problem. (being why It drove fine for 1 day, and they stopped)
Original Poster
ianbaggarly
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Feb 26 2012, 2:36am

I have never hear that. I would think if there was a problem it would not let it start immediatly. What good would it do to let someone drive off with it for a day?
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby ianbaggarly [OP] » Feb 26 2012, 4:06am

Well, I reset the codes myself, and THEN I read that it would only run for "X" amount of miles :(
Original Poster
ianbaggarly
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Electrical