jQuery not supported.

Service Air Bags

Service Air Bags

Postby smartwick08 [OP] » Mar 25 2012, 2:49am

i started my truck this morning (2008 1500 silverado 5.3) and had the "Service Air Bags" come on this morning, definitely not the way i wanted to start the day. last summer i had the same problem and it ended up being a seat belt actuator or something along them lines at 125 dollars. is there something i can buy that will tell me what sensor it is and if so what brand would you recommend. oh and i didnt do anything out of the norm either, i didnt mess with the seats or any crawl underneath yanking on wires, so and help would be nice, not looking forward to pay someone a 100 dollars to put a new sensor in if i can do it myself thank you.
Original Poster
smartwick08
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 v8 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Air Lift Air Bags   air bags   Air bags are in   Firestone Air bags and Compressor   Will air bags lift the rear when not loaded   Air bags on 2006 Silverado 1500   Firestone Ride Rite air bags fit   Deaver Leaf Spring (F87) and air bags?   Air Bag Service   Cel and service air bag   service air bag warning light?   2014 Sierra Air Bag Service Light   Air Bag service light after dead battery jump   Service engine light comes on due to secondary air injection 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Service Air Bags

Postby ASTE25 » Mar 25 2012, 3:39am

Usually the code readers will not read the air bag codes. You will probably need someone with a diagnostic scanner to see what the codes are.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 » Mar 27 2012, 9:54am

i had it happen on my new body 07..most likely a driver or passenger side airbag sensor...dealer told me they corrode out and go out all the time in these new trucks...first try unplugging and plugging in the under seat(driver and passenger) sensors...those can be loose and trigger the light as well..hope this helps
dalejrfan88
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 28
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 ecotech
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Mar 27 2012, 10:15am

My 04 had this happen, it ended up being the sensor under the passenger seat, the wires got cut
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 » Mar 27 2012, 3:46pm

smartwick08 wrote:i started my truck this morning (2008 1500 silverado 5.3) and had the "Service Air Bags" come on this morning, definitely not the way i wanted to start the day. last summer i had the same problem and it ended up being a seat belt actuator or something along them lines at 125 dollars. is there something i can buy that will tell me what sensor it is and if so what brand would you recommend. oh and i didnt do anything out of the norm either, i didnt mess with the seats or any crawl underneath yanking on wires, so and help would be nice, not looking forward to pay someone a 100 dollars to put a new sensor in if i can do it myself thank you.

Also those front impact airbag sensors run about 100 bucs for the part at the dealer. prolly can get them cheaper elsewhere. They are located under the plastic shrouding on each side of the truck behind each corner of the front frame. In Wisconsin we go through a ton of these sensors because of all the salt on the roadway :(
dalejrfan88
Topics: 28
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 ecotech
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical