jQuery not supported.

silverado headlamps

wiring high and low beams to run at same time

silverado headlamps

Postby chevy1229 [OP] » Mar 06 2010, 1:58pm

Whats up I'm chris from N.C., my foreman has 2004 colorado he found on his forum something about useing a jumper on the relay to make highs & lows come on at the same time when u switch to highs on. Can this be done on my 2003 silverado?
Original Poster
chevy1229
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: ext cab 4x2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Replacement bulbs for DDM Tuning HID Headlamps?   How to turn your 09 Silverado into a 2010-2013 Silverado   83 silverado   99 Silverado   97 silverado 5.7L   4.8 silverado   My Silverado   2008 Silverado   08 Silverado horn   Silverado 4.8 tune   Qi enabled Silverado   Borla XR-1, 5.3 Silverado   2008 Silverado 5.3L   1998 silverado what do y'all think? 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: silverado headlamps

Postby PeterJ » Mar 20 2010, 10:09pm

It can probably be done, but my question is WHY? You do know that once you run both headlights at the same time they have a higher chance of burning out because of the heat involved. Not to mention that the wires will all run hotter and might melt because you'll be running too much amperage through them. I think it is a bad idea all around.
PeterJ
Contributor
Contributor
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: SS
Extra Info: 6L Vortec HO V8
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby xloffroad » Apr 02 2010, 5:46am

Yes, it's possible. It's called a High-4 kit or High Beam Relay Kit. Painless sells a kit, I'm sure other lesser known companies do as well. I have one installed on mine that keeps the low beams and fog lights on (High-6?). I don't recall where I got it but it was easy to install. I've had it installed for years with no problems. Also have HIDs in my lows and fogs.

Here is a link to the Painless kit: http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalo ... All=Trucks
xloffroad
Year: 2002
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD Quadrasteer
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby jpk » Apr 02 2010, 4:05pm

In the earlier GMT800 trucks (99-2002?), it's a very easy mod. I'm not sure about 2004 and up; I think they changed some of the logic in the high beam light controls and added a second relay (one for the low beams, one for the high).

In any case, I highly recomend this for anyone that drives rural roads at night; it makes a huge difference. The jist of it is that when you switch on the high beams, the regular low beam lights are switched off. The high beams effectively illuminate anything further down the road, but the addition of the low beams really fills in the area closer to the front of the truck.

The high and low beams are in seperate housings, so heat generated by the bulbs really isn't an issue. As for the wiring, it's more than adequate. Each 55 watt bulb draws just a hair over 4 amps at 13.6 volts. You can carry that with a 23 gage wire safely, the 18 gage wire used can carry 4 times that.

On the pre-2003 trucks, the low and high beams lights are controlled by a single relay which gets it's signal from the Body Control Module. For some reason (probably having to do with the automatic light control or the DRLS) the relay is on the ground side of the circuit; in other words, the relay switches the headlight ground in and out to control the lights. The supply side of the circuit is always energized (at least when the lights are on) so all you need to do is provide another path to ground for the low beam lights. Some people have tapped into the harness at the bulb to do this, others have tapped the wiring under the relay board in the electrical distribution box on the driver's fender under the hood. Either method works essentially the same way, it's just a matter of where you tap the wires. On the bottom of the relay/fuse board there are 4 big connectors. The connector under the headlight relay has a yellow wire at position D5. This wire is the ground for the low beam lights (you can check continuity to the low beam bulb connector to be sure) Tap that wire to ground and you're all set.

In 2003 the logic was changed and they added another relay, afterwhich the BCM switches the hot side of the low beams in and out and a seperate relay switches the high beams in and out.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, a simple and cheap solution for the 2003+ can be found here; essentially you add a diode between the coil trigger og the high and low beam relays: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.p ... headlights

Another option is a relay and harness kit like this one: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PW-30822
jpk
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 4.8 ext cab 4wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LonestarEMT » Apr 06 2010, 1:24am

Like I've said on other things. If you do the install, please post pictures and give a how-to.
AIR GOES IN AND OUT,
BLOOD GOES ROUND AND ROUND,
ANY DEVIATION IS A PROBLEM.
LonestarEMT
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 13
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby broken409 » Apr 08 2010, 4:48pm

I just saw this relay kit in an LMC truck catalog for 30 bucks. www.LMCtruck.com
broken409
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2500 hd 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cobra19946 » Apr 08 2010, 9:29pm

xloffroad,
how much and where did you get the HIDs for your truck? i need some because as you all know, the stock headlights are kinda dim and i dont wanna mess with the wiring that will void my warranty by jumping the wires to run the high and lows at the same time.
cobra19946
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 4
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby tx1tek » Apr 22 2010, 1:41am

I looked at my wiring terminals under my electrical center and found no wires in that location on either block (Green or Red) Both locations are empty. I'm confused as hell now......LOL
tx1tek
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tx1tek » Apr 22 2010, 3:14am

I just finished grounding the yellow wires at the light harness. Works good. Thanks everyone.
tx1tek
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » May 05 2010, 4:58pm

My headlight aim from the factory was wrong. The dealer aligned them under warranty and everything is great. It could be a simple sollution to your situation. Just a thought.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Next

Return to Electrical