jQuery not supported.

Stabillitrac/traction control D.I.C message

Stabillitrac/traction control D.I.C message

Postby KENCP6 [OP] » Aug 10 2011, 12:30am

I have a 2009 silverado, 5.3 flex, auto, 2wd 1500, and the traction control off/service traction control D.I.C message comes on after a couple of miles of hiway driving, it never comes on in town just on the hiway, I took it to the dealer and they found a faulty steering wheel position sensor and replaced it. everything was fine for 6 months but now its back, took it back to dealer but they say the steering wheel position sensor is fine and they cannot tell me why this is happening, I can shut the truck off for a few minutes and the message is gone until I get back on the freeway for a couple of miles and boom it back again, have any of you had this problem and if so how did you fix it or do any of you have an opinion on what my next move should be to get this fixed. thanks.
Original Poster
KENCP6
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L FLEX
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Stabillitrac/traction control D.I.C message

Postby larryn » Aug 10 2011, 2:40am

I had the very same problem it was the alignment .Dealer replaced steering wheel sensor, that did not work.Took it to my home dealer they did an alignment, no problems for last 15000miles.Hope this helps!( 2009 1500 ext. 6L,6 speed.)
larryn
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 6L max tow 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bcw19811 » Aug 10 2011, 2:48am

I had the same problem and it was only on the freeway. After a hour or so the light would come on then the truck would loose power and the door locks would pop up and down. It was only after a couple of hours doing about 80. It was the ground wire from the battery to the engine block and frame. I changed it and problem solved. Supposedly it is known that a lot of people have problems with this wire but they never say it might be the cause. I would try and make them replace it if you have any warranty because its $100.
I think it happens on the freeway after it gets time to heat up because of all the power running through the wire and it overloads or something.
bcw19811
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Z71 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby KENCP6 [OP] » Aug 10 2011, 5:24pm

Bcw, this does not cause the truck to go into reduced power mode, I have heard of that problem and it seems to be that wire you are talking about, So far mine never lost power, It has got to be something with the front end or the alignment because it never happens in town, its almost like once it gets to a certain speed it happens, It does not affect anything else, I will keep you posted on what repair fixes this, I truly am starting to wonder if I shouldn't just live with this, even the owners manuel says if I can shut the truck off and it clears its self then there is no problem, its only if after restarting the message comes back do I have a problem,
Original Poster
KENCP6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bcw19811 » Aug 10 2011, 11:18pm

Or to a certain temp and if you only drive on the freeway for a short period it may not get to that point. I always drive 5 hr round trip. The light would come on quickly but it would only lose power after 2 hrs or so. I dont know but I was just suggesting if you are not on the freeway for a extended period it could be possible
bcw19811
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby KENCP6 [OP] » Aug 11 2011, 4:01pm

Good point, I think I will run it for an extended road trip and see what happens,. I am going to have no choice but to take it back to the dealer and have it looked at again, I just hate doing that because they usually keep it 4 days min. I will keep you posted, thanks.
Original Poster
KENCP6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bcw19811 » Aug 11 2011, 9:43pm

Good luck! Hopefully they will figure it out before to long!
bcw19811
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fryboy » Nov 22 2011, 1:02am

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having the same problem with my 2007.
fryboy
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby filstoy » Nov 27 2011, 12:38am

Fryboy, find out what code it's throwing. There are actually several things that can cause this . My 2009 Silverado with a 5.3 was displaying:
1. ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED
2.SERVICE STABILITRAK
3. SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL
Also it was in reduced power mode (engine icon was lit) and the traction control icon was also lit.. You could shut it off for a while and it would go away but come back eventually. It was throwing a P2135 code. It turned out to be the throttle body. P2135 is a throttle position sensor code and the TPS on my engine is integrated with the throttle body. Anyway, you need to get the right code to get a starting point as this can be a tough one . There's also a GM service bulletin about problem with the throttle body harness connector causing this.
filstoy
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 1988
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djlove » Aug 14 2013, 9:59pm

3m throttle body cleaning system is a good way to clean it out. Clean all the electrical contacts and clean the air filter/replace and see if it makes a difference.

thats my .02
djlove
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 22
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Electrical