jQuery not supported.

Starter won't engage and no Solenoid click

2000 truck will not turn over

Starter won't engage and no Solenoid click

Postby Jimmy B [OP] » Mar 01 2011, 11:10pm

My 2000 Silverado has on occasion when turning key to start, the starter does not engage nor do you hear the solenoid click but the battery is good. I did have to replace the exciter ring that surrounds the ignititon switch which did show up with security warning. Anyone had this problem?
Original Poster
Jimmy B
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Starter solenoid   Transmission won't engage right away   4x4 won't engage..need help   4x4 won't engage   Cruise control won't engage   4wd won't engage in my 2000   2007 Chevy 4x4 won't Engage   .....(click).....(click).....   Thump/click/jump   Constant NBS Turn Signal Click   Turbo solenoid??? Help   evap purge solenoid   anyone tell me why theres a ford solenoid on my 1998 sierra?   P0449 Evap Solenoid Replacement 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Starter won't engage and no Solenoid click

Postby lzn197 » Mar 02 2011, 7:48pm

Yes I did with my sons truck. Three months after he replaced his battery this happened. He called me from some local parking lot stating the truck wont start. I got there, opened the hood, twisted the battery cable and it started right up. It had a Loose connection at the cable because somebody tried to tighten the cable bolt and used a 5/16ths open end wrench! So basicallly it wasnt tight!
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Jimmy B [OP] » Mar 02 2011, 8:28pm

I had power to everything else, took the battery out and had it tested, was ok and put it back in, still nothing. Horn, lights and everything else worked.

Started tapping on the fuse box, in particular the ignition relay, nothing. Then took it out of park and went thru the shift to neutral nothing. Then started banging on the steering column near switch, then it cranked up and has started everytime since then. Just afraid I will be stranded somewhere and without an error message on the display don't know whether the dealer can diagnose.
Original Poster
Jimmy B
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 » Mar 02 2011, 8:57pm

Hey Jimmy B- I've had the same issue with my truck, ever since I got it in October. Whenever I would do any work that required disconnecting the battery, it acted up- it was a stripped-out negative post that was causing the loose connection. Sometimes, it would be dead when I turned the key, and then would fire right up on the next try. The battery was old, too, so when it finally died this winter, I replaced it, and haven't had any issues since.
Follow Gordon's advice here- the connections must be pretty dang tight on the battery.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 292
Blogs: 45
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jimmy B [OP] » Mar 02 2011, 9:29pm

Gordon and Starspangled 6.0, there is no problem with my battery. I think it might have something to do with the security feature. There is a smart key and an exciter ring around the switch that reads a signal from the key before it will allow the starter to be energized. I had the exciter ring replaced 2 years ago so I don't think this is the problem. Might have something to do with sensors or solenoids that send the signal to whatever engergizes the starter. Smart technology makes for difficult diagnosis without proper testing equipment.
Original Poster
Jimmy B
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hartski » Mar 02 2011, 10:12pm

Possibly a bad connection somewhere in the column.
in omnia paratus
Hartski
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Mar 02 2011, 10:39pm

I would suspect the exciter ring / smart key connections. Aftermarket is never as reliable as OEM.

Any intermittent electrical issue is always the most difficult to diagnose. Does the exciter ring control anything else (have you tested what else works/doesn't when you experience the starter problem)? Point is, if it does cut out other things, and those things don't work when you have starter issues, it would isolate the exciter circuitry as the root cause.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby dave@pelletizer.com » Oct 28 2012, 7:37pm

I was having very similar problem

I opened up the fuse panel under the hood, wiggled the relay that is labeled as starter and it started, so I pulled it out and spread the legs a bit and it seems to be fine. Hope this helps someone!

Sierra suburban silverado Chevrolet GMC no start solenoid no power voltage
dave@pelletizer.com
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical