jQuery not supported.

Tail light problems

Drivers side tail light not working...please help

Tail light problems

Postby gridesnik [OP] » Nov 07 2011, 3:38am

Hey guys new to the forum, just purchased a 2001 2500hd 8.1 allison 4x4 on saturday. I noticed the drivers side tail light was not working. First guess bulb bad, but not that lucky. Changed bulbs out and did nothing. Reverse works, blinkers work, brake lights work. I tried a new Tail light circuit board today hoping that it was bad and still did nothing. Tried to jump brake light from passenger post on circuit board to drivers side tail light harness and just blew a fuse, this would lead me to guess there is a short in the drivers tail light wiring harness. I think there is a way to check this ohms? but am not for sure how to... WHEN DIAGNOSING ON THE TAIL LIGHT CIRCUIT BOARD I AM NOT GETTING ANY AMPS FOR THE TAIL LIGHT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE FROM ANY POST, GET AMPS FOR TURN SIGNALS AND REVERSE LIGHTS AND SO FORTH. On the passenger side I am getting amperage, thats why I first assumed the circuit board was bad. Any ideas? I am trying to locate a wiring diagram to help me diagnose something. Is there only one tail light incoming wire from the main harness to the tail light circuit board or should there be 2? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hate driving around with a bullseye on my back after a beer or two.

thanks
Nik
Original Poster
gridesnik
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500hd 8.1 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Tail light problems

Postby WingNut » Nov 07 2011, 5:04am

Sounds like you have a deep problem in your electrical. From what you've said so far the problem is isolated upstream of the circuit board. If you've verified the same condition exists after you've swapped boards then it must be a signal problem to the board. This can only be from either the wire harness or the headlight switch. Being a lazy man, I'd try to find a known working switch first and see if that corrects the problem. This all assumes you don't have any grounding problems.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby gridesnik [OP] » Nov 07 2011, 8:50pm

WingNut wrote:Sounds like you have a deep problem in your electrical. From what you've said so far the problem is isolated upstream of the circuit board. If you've verified the same condition exists after you've swapped boards then it must be a signal problem to the board. This can only be from either the wire harness or the headlight switch. Being a lazy man, I'd try to find a known working switch first and see if that corrects the problem. This all assumes you don't have any grounding problems.

my thought though...correct me if im wrong which I probably am, Is there two leads coming into the circuit board ie:one for each tail light, or is there one lead that comes into the circuit board for tail lights then splits it to two different out puts, one for the driver side one for the passenger side? See what im saying? I have a tail light power source heading into the circuit board and back out the passenger hookup, but nothing out drivers hookup. Mainly I do not know if there is supposed to be one or two hot wires heading into the circuit board from the main harness. Im going to try and jump some wires over and see if it will turn on that way.
Original Poster
gridesnik
Topics: 3
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500hd 8.1 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby country1911 » Nov 07 2011, 9:52pm

There may be some corrosion on the connecting block around the spare tire area. I have seen some what in this area cause some weird things. If you trace the harness back from the taillight you should find what I am talking about.

Other problems I have seen from this area is the turn signals coming on with the brakes or parking lights, and the reverse lights coming on with the turn signals.
country1911
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: LTZ 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 99CivicSiR » Nov 07 2011, 10:09pm

I just noticed some weirdness with my 05 Sierra.
Seen the rear passenger side was not lighting up with the lights on but blinkers and brake light works....figured it was a bad bulb. Went to the store and bought a replacement bulb...get home and notice that it is now working.
99CivicSiR
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 15
Year: 2005
Extra Info: Ext cab 4x4 SLT 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hondarancher4435 » Jan 18 2012, 12:56pm

Did you figure out your issue. I'm having the exact same problem with the passenger light on my 2008 and have tried all the same ways to diagnose it as you and can't find my problem
hondarancher4435
Topics: 1
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 4x4 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nara7590 » Aug 06 2013, 1:00pm

Where can i find a new circuit board? I am having this same issue.
nara7590
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tnsledder » Aug 12 2013, 6:06pm

You can get the circuit board from O'Rielly's. They had it in the local ware house had it for me the next day. Cost me $26.

I am having the same issue with my '04 2500HD Passenger side Tailight(s) won't work. I changed out the circuit board above the spare with no luck. I also pulled the wiring harness from the CB to the taillight and ohmed it out thinking it was possibly bad. Checked good. I even hate to say this, but could it be the BCM? (Body control module) Or could it be the light switch itself? A wiring diragram would be helpful. Does anyone know where I can get a copy?
tnsledder
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nara7590 » Aug 14 2013, 2:44am

tnsledder wrote:You can get the circuit board from O'Rielly's. They had it in the local ware house had it for me the next day. Cost me $26.

Awesome! Thanks so much! I know if I went through a dealership the part would cost me and arm and a leg lol
nara7590
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical