jQuery not supported.

voltage fluctuate on the dasboard meter

Postby LouisB [OP] » Nov 16 2012, 3:58pm

Hi everybody, i have a question, if someone could answer me ? Is it normal that my dial voltage meter in the dashboard fluctuate. Goes up to near 15 v and then drop to appx 12.75 v and depending the demand it can goes up little above 14v ?

Very bugging situation because now i always check this meter. Sometimes doesn't move a lot and sometimes goes up and very down.

I couldn't check with my voltmeter cause it is happening when i am running, but if i stop beside the road and take a reading on my batteri pole with my voltmeter, the result is almost the same as my dial but more precise.

Got the original batterie replace last week cause i stall and needed a boost. Take no chance because cold wheater is comming i replace the batterie with a carquest original compatible 645 amp

For info, truck is a silverado 2007, 4X4, 5.3 engine
Original Poster
LouisB
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Question about the Volt Meter Gauge   2005 Silverado Hour Meter Reset   Auto Meter Carbon Fiber Boost, Fuel Press, and Air fuel gaug   voltage indicator   DRL voltage?   Voltage drop when stepping into it..   Voltage indicator fluctuates   RELAY HELP (nominal coil voltage)   230 volt reference voltage? ??   electical system voltage surges???   Battery drain and alternator voltage   voltage varies alot is this normal?   2014 gmc 1500 voltage   Voltage/Battery Gauge problem 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby Machster69 » Nov 16 2012, 4:16pm

Is it a new new body 2007? If so then the alternator charges according to demand... Normal
Machster69
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 104
Blogs: 8
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE 2wd
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Re: voltage fluctuate on the dasboard meter

Postby Gereke09 » Nov 16 2012, 4:20pm

i was told by my local parts store,not CQ but Federated, YES this is normal!!! it helps prolong the charging system, dont always have to run 14 volts!!! Mine is a 09 though, should be pretty close. Hope you bought the GOLD battery. I delivered for them, form dist. center to the stores here in the buckeye...sometimes you get what you pay for!!! i made the mistake of " saving money" and ended up buying the GOLD a few months later!!! thier Gold or Top of the line is very good, but you gotta spend the extra money!!! jsut keep that in mind, that was my experience buying CQ parts, from the wharehouse!!
Gereke09
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Nov 16 2012, 4:46pm

Subject: Information On Voltmeter Gauge Fluctuation Due To Regulated Voltage Control System And Concerns About Camper/Trailer Battery Charging

Models: 2005-2009 Cadillac Escalade Models

2005-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2005-2009 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic, Yukon Models

Voltmeter Fluctuation Condition:
Some customers may comment that the voltmeter is fluctuating between 12 and 14 volts on their full size pickup or utility vehicle. Starting with the 2005 model year, light duty full size pickups and utilities are equipped with a new Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system. This system reduces the targeted output of the generator to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode" to improve fuel economy. The generator may exit "Fuel Economy Mode" if additional voltage is required. This will cause the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts as opposed to non-regulated systems that usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts. This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation and NO repairs should be attempted.

Camper/Trailer Battery Charging Concerns:
Some customers may comment that when towing or hauling a camper/trailer, the auxiliary battery for the camper/trailer will not stay charged. In most cases, this concern is blamed on the new RVC system. While the RVC system does reduce the generator's targeted output voltage to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode", this feature is bypassed if the tow/haul feature is enabled. With the tow/haul feature enabled, the RVC system will stay in "Charge Mode" and the targeted generator output voltage will be 13.9-15.5 volts, depending on the battery state of charge and the estimated battery temperature. To keep the generator in the "Charge Mode", use either of the following two methods.

• The first method is to use the tow/haul mode when towing or hauling a camper or trailer.

• The second method is to turn on the headlights, which will increase the generator's targeted output voltage to 13.9-14.5 volts.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 125
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Gereke09 » Nov 16 2012, 4:59pm

that was very helpful...more than i got at the parts store!!!! thanks
Gereke09
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LouisB [OP] » Nov 16 2012, 5:07pm

Thank's a lot Z15,
You saving me a lot of concern and tylenol cause i was very wondering about what's going on.
They explanation given is very clear and helpful. That's make my day

Have a nice day
Original Poster
LouisB
Year: 2007
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rangel » Nov 16 2012, 7:43pm

I noticed this on both my Yukon and Sierra. Good to know its normal. Thanks.
Rangel
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical