Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

1992 Silverado 5.7L engine tick

4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  ASTE25 
#1 ·
I have this annoying tick that suddenly started last week. The truck has just recently had the tranny replaced, but I checked the torque converter bolts and they are all snug. The sound is coming from that general area I have determined. I'd like to add that I have also just recently put 3" exhaust on the truck. Before I ran the exhaust, there was no evident 'tick.' Could a leaky exhaust flange be causing this tick or clacking sound? It seems to be the worst at idle and low rpm. When driving I can't here it. I just traded my wife's grandaddy for the truck, after he had already put a ton of money into fixing the transmission, ignition control module, new tires, oil/ all filter changes (except tranny filter and fluid), and I have also done a lot of work on it for him cosmetically. I am a body/paint man, and I am mechanically inclined, but not so much so that I am too good to ask for help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
At first I was leaning towards an exhaust leak myself. However, this has none of the 'flutter' that usually accompanies an exhaust leak. Trust me, I would love for it to be an exhaust leak. Flange gaskets are like 10 bucks at Oreily's. New flexplate is around 30 and new torque converter is around 130. Big differences there when you're poor, lol. As I said, its a very evident 'tick' and now more like a 'clacking sound' but not so much that it sounds like a knock and it is definately coming from around the torque converter. I'd also like to add that I didn't tamper with the factory exhaust flanges when installing the new exhaust. I know where to look, and I also know that it can be frustrating for you all to try and help diagnose an issue without hearing it for yourselves. I just need to crawl back under it and check it out. Thanks for the advice.

#5 ·
it comepletely goes away it seems under load. That's why I've been leaning towards the flexplate either loose or cracked. Same in all gears. One second its doing it, then for a few seconds it'll stop and start right back to making racket. Pretty embarrassing lol. I would post a vid, but my wife won't let me use her camera lol. That's her baby. I don't argue with her. Momma ain't happy ain't no body happy.

#6 ·
it isn't a knock, and it isn't coming from the bottom end of the motor. he had some really shady guys put the tranny in for him while I was at work one day. I crawled under the truck the other day to investigate the sound and to my disgust I noticed one of the nuts to one of the studs on the block was nearly back comepletely off. So if they didn't take the time to do the job right, I am pretty sure that they didn't take the time to check the flexplate for wear/cracks either.

#9 ·
i thought so too about the flex plate. Checked it out earlier today- no visible cracks and everything was nice and tight. Only other place could be the TC. Anyone ever have symptoms as these with a TC going out? I'm pulling the tranny back out as soon as I can, just want to make sure I'm looking in the right direction. Hopefully it the truck won't lay down on me before I can get it back to the in-laws (where our little shop is).

#13 ·
yes... it would definately suck. But it wouldn't be for no reason, even if the problem weren't there (which it is). It's either the TC or the flywheel and several of the mechanics at our shop agree. Started pulling the tranny this evening- needless to say, it was definately needed regardless. Crawled underneath and as I was taking the housing bolts out i noticed at the top I could see a good amount of daylight. Obviously, the guys screwed my wife's grandfather over and didnt tighten the top bolts down. They also overtightened the passengers side lower nuts so much so that they twisted one of the wiring harnesses around. Left out the top driver's side stud and nut. I'd also like to add that when they pulled the driveshaft, they didn't check the rear u-joint- I say this because when I pulled the u-joint out of the yoke, the cap came off one of the ends and the bearings fell out. He hired them to do it after being referred by his son in law since it was his son in laws cousin and his nephew. So, in saying all that, it was definately worth it to start pulling the transmission anyway, if not to solve my original problem, but to survey what kind of damage these two wack jobs have caused me by not mounting the transmission properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.