Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2001 Silverado 1500 5.3 4wd won't start

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  t_horn616 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here and in need of some help.

Yesterday I started up my truck and pulled it out of the garage. I let it sit by the house for maybe 10 minutes, letting it warm up (I live in Iowa). As I came outside, I noticed it wasn't running. I jumped in and tried to start it, and all it did was crank. There was a couple times where it would just barely start, the engine would seem to shudder, then it would die.

I tried again when I got home from work, and the same thing, except it seemed like it started up fully, but also seemed to dwindle out after I gave it gas. I have had a few times where after I start it, that it would die but it turned over right away. I was under the impression it did that because of the cold. But for this new problem, I need some ideas of where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
Can def hear the fuel pump hum. Not sure on that I bought it from a used dealer about 2 months ago. Tried again jus now and it starts and slowly dies. Almost seems to die quicker when I give it gas, it doesn't rev up at all. Also should note i had a check engine light for the o2 censors. Not sure if that'd cause this problem?

#6 ·
Still in need of help everyone!!

Changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel pressure regulator, and the throttle position sensor. It now seems to start more and run a little longer, but again will slowly die, especially when you press the pedal. Anyone have any ideas?

#7 ·
Check the MAF sensor and clean the throttle body? My sons truck did that a while back and the catalytic converter was stopped up. It could possibly still be the fuel pump.
Are you near a Harbor Freight Tool store? You can get a fuel pressure gauge there for like 12.00

#10 ·
t_horn616 said:
Hmm. I can get a pressure guage from an auto store in town for like 14 or so. Seems to also back fire so catalytic convertor could be a possibility. I'm just skeptical about the problem being the fuel pump because you can hear it going clear as day.
I could hear my fuel pump before it died, in fact the last day or two before it went out completely I noticed it getting louder when I primed the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.