jQuery not supported.

97 2500 hestitation issue at highway speeds

Hesitation or stumble when running 55-60

97 2500 hestitation issue at highway speeds

Postby Silersbrew [OP] » Aug 21 2010, 9:01pm

Hello all, This is my first post, but been having this problem for 3 years. I have a 1997 Chevy 2500 HD with the 5.7L My problem is that it hesitates or stumbles with running at a constant highway speed. It runs great under acceleration or under a load. I had somebody mention possible TC locking issues, but while it does it there is no variation in RPM and the TC is locked in, It does the same thing if in 3rd. I have changed Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter. There is no problem at Idle, or if I am pulling a 8000# fifth wheel. It has to be at highway speed with no added load. added load makes problem go away.

Any help would be appreciatted.

thanks, Tom
Original Poster
Silersbrew
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1997
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 5.7L HD
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Vibration at Highway Speeds   Sputtering during highway speeds   03 2500hd unlocking converter at highway speeds   Highway wobble issue...   08 2500 with speedometer issue   2005 2500 rear Axle issue   Silverado 2500 continuing misfire + engine light flash issue   All AC speeds working again   1999-2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 2500 Brake Pad & Rotor Kit CE   Truck Shaking at high speeds, but only sometimes.   What's best for highway driving?   Shifting down on the highway   Cruzin' the Highway   13mpg on the highway??? 
Engine Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 97 2500 hestitation issue at highway speeds

Postby koolz71 » Aug 23 2010, 1:48pm

It sounds like it may be a delivery issue. I would check your PCV valve if it has one, fuel filter, throttle body, air/fuel mixture. Its gotta be fuel related i would think due to it doing it at cruising speed, and when given a load it goes away, Im not sure but it may give u somewhere to start
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silersbrew [OP] » Aug 24 2010, 12:41am

I replaced the PVC valve and the fuel filter, it has a slight improvement, what do I need to check or do with the throttle body? I am unfamiliar with that one.

Thanks,

Tom
Original Poster
Silersbrew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silersbrew [OP] » Aug 25 2010, 3:40pm

Update, still having issues with the missing at highway speeds, have put plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, PVC valve, cleaned the throttle body. Had it checked for codes last night, "No Codes Stored" It is probably something simple that I am overlooking but it now has me at a loss.

any other ideas would be appreciated

Tom
Original Poster
Silersbrew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Aug 25 2010, 3:53pm

new motor? lol j/k Im at a lost now as well. I would recomend that you send a message to Katjar503 he is our resident ASE certified mechanic. He may be able to help you out.
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silersbrew [OP] » Aug 25 2010, 8:35pm

Just put another set of plugs in it because I wasn't impressed with the way the platinum tips did not line up all that well with each other on the autolites. I replaced with AC Delco double platinum, they seemed to line up better. I also put a new coil on it. Although it seems a little better, it is still there. I switched brands of Gas last night too. grasping at straws now.

Is it possible that the transmission might be slipping a little? It has been about 50,000 miles since last service on it. Fluid level is fine in tranny and the color looks good. But wondering if it could be slipping a little, but when I accelerate or put a load on it, it grabs.

Thanks, Tom
Original Poster
Silersbrew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby katjar503 » Aug 26 2010, 3:12am

Well to me it sounds like torque converter. How it works is when at crusing speeds your computer tells trans to lock up torque converter. Can be as soon as 3rd gear and 35 mph. How you can find out if it is the torque converter is = when you feel it stumble maintain same speed and with other foot lightly press brake peddal just enough to switch the brake switch but not enough to slow truck. What you will see on the tach. is a jump up in rpms (300 to 600) and the stumble will go away. take foot off peddal and should drop down and start stumbling agian if its the torque converter/valve body problem. Let me know
transman
katjar503
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Year: 1999
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Silersbrew [OP] » Aug 26 2010, 3:22am

I had discussed that with a mechanic here, but he told me that I would see the tach vary as it was trying to engage and disengage. which it dosent vary during the hesitation. He said nothing about trying the brake the way you explained it. I will try that and post.

Thank-you for your time,

Tom
Original Poster
Silersbrew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silersbrew [OP] » Aug 26 2010, 3:46am

ok, I just took the truck out and it looks like that is it. I let the torque converter lock up and barely held the brake pedal to get it to unlock, as long as I held the brake to keep the torque converter from locking it did not hesitate, as soon as I let up and it locked in it started again. Now that we know what the problem is I am afraid to ask what the fix is.

Thanks katjar503,

Tom
Original Poster
Silersbrew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby katjar503 » Aug 27 2010, 1:49am

Well this is where the fun starts. What transmission guys call this is lock up chatter. What causes this is normally two things
1 torque converter
2 worn out valve body valve boar
The fix is what hurts. The cheap way is to buy lubegard shudder fix and add to the trans fluid. It may work or not but will not fix the problem just puts a band aid on it. The way i would fix it would be to have the transmission rebuild and a new converter. Request these parts in you rebuild they are going to fix the problem and make your transmission last longer. Transgo shift kit that will make it shift better and will fix your lock up valve that is worn out. Its a must!!!!
The rest of these part are a must when i build a trans to last and it will even while towing.
valve body separator plate
All 3 accumulator
The beast sun shell
Tcc sol and wire harness
EPC solinoid
True cool #4590 transmission cooler
You will be happy when done and it will last, if done right. One more thing to think about is check out where you are going to take it. like with the BBB. Also request to see your bad parts.
transman
katjar503
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Topics: 12
Year: 1999
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Registered users
Next

Return to Engine