jQuery not supported.

99 Silverado MPG drop?!

99 Silverado MPG drop?!

Postby archerykid96 [OP] » Oct 09 2012, 6:52am

hey everyone! So before anyone wastes their time giving me heck for trying to improve MPG on a lifted truck...don't waste your time. I'll just delete your replies. I have a 99 silverado 1500 Z71 LS ext. cab (3 door) V8 5.3 with 3.73's. It's got a 6" RC lift on it with meaty 33's. My MPG on a good day is 11 in town and 12/13 highway. That seems strangely low to me. My family has always owned fords and my dad's 01 f150 gets 14/15 in town.. I'd kill for 14 in town right now. That just sounds heavenly. xD I know my MPG is never going to be great, it's a truck, we've always owned trucks, that's what I'm used to. But still, 11 in town seems really low for a 1500 even with a 6" lift and 33's. Does that sound normal to anyone else?? Or does it sound low? Is there anything I can do to improve it? That isn't SUPER costly.. Maybe getting it chipped by a shop? Will that help? How much will that run me? Any other ideas? I've heard conflicting reports about changing the exhaust or adding a CAI or something...even new spark plugs, though I don't see how that could change MPG. Anyway, any help is GREATLYYYY appreciated. Thanks y'all.
Original Poster
archerykid96
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 13
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Sudden MPG drop   2011 Silverado with 2/5 drop   MPG Problems with my silverado   2014 Silverado MPG   TERRIBLE MPG out of 2011 silverado?   2014 Silverado 4x4 Supension leveling VS MPG?   New truck pic's and mpg 2014 Silverado 1500   2011 z71 crew cab silverado MPG   Drop it   Backside Drop   2/3 Drop with pics   2' Rear Drop   Just finished my 2/4 drop   Would you rather drop in or spray on? 
Engine Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 99 Silverado MPG drop?!

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Oct 09 2012, 7:24am

Let’s start out by saying that trucks (and all vehicles) are built by people with far more intelligence than you and I. They build them to specifications then make their assumptions on gas mileage on how people should drive in a ‘perfect’ world. I have heard of plenty of people getting the predicted gas mileage from trucks; I am not one of those people. I drive a 4WD with a V-8 like a 4WD with a V-8. I like to bury the speedometer when necessary (and if you ask the boys in blue, they’ll tell ya that I’m not lying).

Back to the intelligent people. They design the vehicles with specification in mind like drag and aerodynamics. Well trucks are huge blocks pushing wind. There are no aerodynamics, and drag can be modified (usually in a negative way) by as little as tire size. They figure for a certain width and height of a tire. Once you change either or both of these characteristics, you have changed the overall outcome of your drag, which in turn changes the overall ‘aerodynamics’. Not to mention the effect of the footprint on the road which adds more friction, thus creating even more drag.
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator (borderline Redneck variety)

Onlyina_Chevy: you've joined back into the Android ranks?
starspangled6.0: can't wait to dump the iphone
starspangled6.0: i was wrong
starspangled6.0: you were right
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 131
Blogs: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Re: 99 Silverado MPG drop?!

Postby camfire87 » Oct 09 2012, 8:06am

That mileage may be a little low, or it may be spot on. As was posted just before, changing aerodynamics on a truck makes a HUGE difference. Putting a 6" lift on means you have more exposed underneath your truck, which means more drag, and a greater amount of turbulence underneath the truck which in turn creates more drag again. You mentioned that you have meaty tires on, and that will cause a severe loss in economy. if you take two tires identical in size, but one with low rolling resistance and one with grippy mud treads, you can expect to see drastic differences in acceleration, handling, and economy.

If you haven't done so already, I for sure recommend doing a tune up, running some injector cleaner through, and making sure your air filter is good and clean.

2" levelling kit
Stampede flares
Eagle Alloy rims with 275/70/18 General Grabber AT's
camfire87
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Blogs: 5
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3l 4x4