jQuery not supported.

best tuner/chip?

superchip or....?

best tuner/chip?

Postby wi1dweasal [OP] » Nov 12 2010, 8:35pm

08 silverado with 5.3 has dual 40 series flowmasters and a K&N cold air. Now I know this is going to get opinionated, but what are the best chips/tuners out there??

the guys at the exhaust shop who did my mufflers said superchips are the way to go....now I'v read mixed reviews, guys sayin it did jack and guys sayin it made a world of difference. Any personal experiences?

thanks.
Original Poster
wi1dweasal
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  does any chip or tuner offer better mpg   which chip?   Need Feedback on Chip   Son of a....paint chip   Need help with super chip programmer   Which performance chip to purchase   recommendations for chip vs program   1-2 Gear Tranny slip with chip only   Jet Chip Stage 1 Question?   Cold Air Intake or Chip?   Performance Chip/ Computer Programers question   Edge Evolution Performance Chip Wont Turn On   Fixing paint chip with touch-up paint - Will this work?   Dr color chip paint repair and paint code 
Engine Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: best tuner/chip?

Postby Desert Mad Man » Nov 12 2010, 10:21pm

I would go the way of the Superchips Cortex. Since you already have a CAI the tuner will really help wake up your truck. I used the Cortex on my G8 with a CAI and it made a world of difference. Really woke the car up. I am not sure how much difference you will notice by the seat of your pants, but depending on whether or not you have a lift or are stock will make a big difference in feel.

If you want to go the extreme route with tuning, you can always get the HP Tuners tune but it is tougher to do yourself if you don't know what you are doing.

One last option is to get it dyno tuned, but I am not sure how many people are actually doing that with trucks.

I hope this helps.
2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, 6" Fabtech suspension lift, LT285/65R20 BFG A/T's, Magnaflow muffler with dual 3" stainless exhaust. 3" stainless Creative Innovations full length tube steps.
Desert Mad Man
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby In2Trux » Nov 12 2010, 11:09pm

welcome to the site

Your rite, all that is out there is personal preferences. It really depends what you are looking for in a Tuner. What are you looking for and what are you gonna use it for?

I've personally been quietly researching this myself for my Duramax diesel. And the one common question that kept coming up is What are you looking for and what are you going to use it for?
What are you looking for? Huge horse power, for drag racing and awesome burn outs.
Huge Torque, for Towing and Sled Pulls
Better Fuel economy, I want better fuel economy then what I'm getting now.
In2Trux
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 32
Blogs: 3
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby wi1dweasal [OP] » Nov 12 2010, 11:37pm

theres no lift on the truck and its gonna stay that way so no worries about bigger tires. Honestly, i just wanna go fast. thats all im lookin for :) not gonna be on any strips but woodnt mind being able to smoke some of the punks in there little mustangs at a stop light. occasionally pull around an old jeep but even now thats no issues with power. If it can improve the gas mileage, sweet, if not then whatever, just as long as it doesnt decrease it.
Original Poster
wi1dweasal
Topics: 2
Year: 2008
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby aksierra11 » Nov 20 2010, 9:23pm

Look into the predator tuners. Out of the box they are a great setup. Another nice feature is you can get a custom tune done later on and save that to the predator tuner so if need be you can switch to and from your stock tune to the custom tune.

The store bought tuners are decent but to get the most performance or MPG get a custom tune done.
aksierra11
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Blogs: 10
Year: 2011
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.2L SLT
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Nov 21 2010, 12:19am

I am not into doing this to my vehicles but if I was I would go with Wester's Garage. They were doing tunes before it was popular,

2002 - We've just completed a contract with the US Military in 50 new 2002 6.0L GM Suburbans. Sorry--can't tell you much about it.

2002 - An electronics subcontractor contacted us about 4.3L conversions for UPS vans across North America and we're proud to say that our modified code was chosen for use in those delivery vans.

Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 125
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby gmctruckguy » Nov 29 2010, 12:40am

Well I have had 2 different tuners, I had a Hypertech in my 1999 Jimmy and I now have Predators in my Sierras. I prefer the Predator just for the fact that you can adjust parameters to modify their 2 tunes 87 octane and Diablo (91 octane) and you are able to load custom tunes from them. They are easy to use/operate, Diablo (Predator) also makes the Trinity which is the dash mounted one and it is supposed to be able to do multiple vehicles and TCM adjustment soon.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Blogs: 1
Year: 2012
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby aksierra11 » Nov 29 2010, 5:12am

+1 on the Predator. I like having the option to switch to my stock tune at any time so I can take it into the shop for any warranty work.
aksierra11
Topics: 19
Blogs: 10
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 6.2L SLT
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby rdss » Nov 30 2010, 1:08am

I am stuck between the diablo predator, hypertech, and superchips right now. I am going to take my time and keep an eye out before making my decision though. The exhaust and intake will come first, the truck only has a 1000 miles on it anyway.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Engine