jQuery not supported.

Can a throttle body spacer really add HP?

Throttle body spacer

Can a throttle body spacer really add HP?

Postby Agent Fawk [OP] » Jun 18 2010, 5:12am

Aside from the leveling kit, I would like to add one more performance upgrade before the end of the year. For around $100, a throttle body spacer is said to add about a dozen hp,torque. I would like to believe this. But, thinking about the physics, how can a little serrated edge increase air/fuel admix that much more efficiently? Yet again, I find myself at this awesome forum wondering If any one of you have put one of these on your truck. If so, was it really worth it? I've read yes and no. I've read that it causes a whistling sound. It just doesn't sound too promising. Please, let me know. Thanks again.
Original Poster
Agent Fawk
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer   Throttle Body Spacer?   Throttle Body Spacer and CAI   Help choosing throttle body spacer with k&n 57 air intake   Throttle body spacer & bully dog tuner   Bilstein 5100 Installed can I add a strut spacer??   03 throttle body on an 09   Throttle body   Throttle body    Throttle body going out?   throttle body   Ported throttle body   Throttle Body Question! 
Engine Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Can a throttle body spacer really add HP?

Postby HOTROD HELL » Jun 18 2010, 5:41am

i put one on my truck, and love it i notived a difference right off the batt, all it does is causes turbulance in the air/ churning it up. I havent noticed any noise at all but you cant hear much over my exhaust, but i have had friends that have put them in and it has a turbo blow off valve sound to it.
HOTROD HELL
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2500hd 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jun 18 2010, 3:29pm

Lets see if this makes sense. You put a throttle body spaced on there to cause turbulence after you put on a cold air intake to smooth the air flow.

Sounds more like seat dyno than real world performance increase.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 121
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby lzn197 » Jun 18 2010, 4:10pm

Save your money. You would probably get as much performance increase as waxing your truck. :)
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby 71 cuda man » Jun 19 2010, 12:24pm

I agree you'd be better off piutting your money into a set of headers & a good flowing exhaust system
71 cuda man
Topics: 4
Year: 1994
Extra Info: z71 5.7L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby thirdgen » Jul 07 2010, 5:56pm

HOTROD HELL wrote:i put one on my truck, and love it i notived a difference right off the batt, all it does is causes turbulance in the air/ churning it up. I havent noticed any noise at all but you cant hear much over my exhaust, but i have had friends that have put them in and it has a turbo blow off valve sound to it.

I'm not buyin this BS at all. A throttle body spacer on a carburated application works because it increases the plenum volume. This is different however on a Vortec V8 application, due to the Vortec design. The name "Vortec" is because the design of the intake actually swirls the air into the chambers from the factory. A spacer that causes turbulence would disrput this function, thus causing a performance / fuel mileage decrease. I.E. The less turbulence you have on the intake of a combustion engine, the more power you will generate. I strongly believe spacers are a waste of money, and to respond to above...how could a little piece of metal between the throttle body cause a turbo blow off like sound? Obviously you don't understand the functions of a turbo charged system / how a BOV works. I think the sound you're hearing is cause by the suction though the air filter, as a NA engine only produces Vacuum...no boost involved.
thirdgen
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 23
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 4.8 vortec
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 91K2500 » Dec 21 2011, 8:29am

Z15 wrote:Lets see if this makes sense. You put a throttle body spaced on there to cause turbulence after you put on a cold air intake to smooth the air flow.

Sounds more like seat dyno than real world performance increase.

Cold air intake smooths AIR flow before being mixed with fuel! A spacer makes turbulence after said air is mixed with fuel, you want turbulence to mix the fuel and air together. So it makes perfect sence!
91K2500
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1991
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adams99z71 » Dec 21 2011, 2:44pm

91k2500- if you feel like wasting your money i'll sell you the spacer i took off my truck last month. i think most everyone is talking about MPFI/SPI not trottle body injection like im sure you have on your 1991 k2500. i could see there being a difference with TBI but not SPI/MPFI
nbs99 z71 325ci v8, stock 4wheel disc brakes, no cats, flow master classic 40 series, rhino line, custom fog lights, cb, bully dog tunner, 4:10 locker, airbag load leveling, 205,000miles.
adams99z71
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 30
Blogs: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 325ci Z71 ext cab LS
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby deathphoenix99 » Dec 21 2011, 3:06pm

HOTROD HELL wrote:i put one on my truck, and love it i notived a difference right off the batt, all it does is causes turbulance in the air/ churning it up. I havent noticed any noise at all but you cant hear much over my exhaust, but i have had friends that have put them in and it has a turbo blow off valve sound to it.

:roll: The stock intake flows quite a bit, so unless you do some engine work, a CAI won't give you any real gains. And it's louder because the stock intake has baffles built into it, which quiet the engine noise. As for the spacer, they are uesless on modern Fuel Injected engines.

91K2500 wrote:Cold air intake smooths AIR flow before being mixed with fuel! A spacer makes turbulence after said air is mixed with fuel, you want turbulence to mix the fuel and air together. So it makes perfect sence!

The fuel is mixed right above the intake valve or in the chamber on Direct Injection. Gm hasn't used Throttle Body Injection since 1995 and the spacers only worked on Carbs and TBI's since it allowed for the fuel to mix better. On CPI, SFI, MPFI, MPI, TPI, SCPI, etc.....the spacers just cause the air to turn which actually hurts the harmonics of the intake. If the manufacturer saw an easy way to gain power without hurting mileage or anything else, don't you think they'd design the intake to already have the spacer?

OP, save your money for real performance parts or a tune.
deathphoenix99
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 29
Blogs: 1
Year: 2011
Extra Info: SCLB 4.3L LS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lilmagoo1 » Dec 21 2011, 3:12pm

take it easy people geez, the guy just asked a question lol. i had one on a 98 i did hear a little whistle after the install that wasnt their before the TBS but it also didnt sound like a blow off valve...also i didnt feel a performance gain because my truck has 2 sets of injectors it had regular injectors and spider injectors which put the fuel directly 2 the plugs...

I believe they are a waste of money brother and i woudlnt recommend one to you. Seems to good to be true i know, and in this case it is...heck there are these little chips out their claiming to add 50 HP and you install in to our computer they are like 50 bucks on ebay if not cheaper....i wouldnt trust that either
: 07.5 Silverado : 3"lift & 1.25" body lift : 295/70R18 Trail Grapplers :
: 18" MBmotoring V-drive rims W/ 00 offset :
lilmagoo1
Topics: 68
Blogs: 3
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 5.3 L 4x4
Group Membership: