Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Help with engine ticking

13K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  HighSpeed 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, this past weekend as I was driving I noticed a quiet ticking noise on the drivers side under the hood that progressively got louder as I drove down the highway. Ever since the ticking noise starts up again every day I drive approximately after 5 miles. I currently have 2009 Silverado with the 5.3 engine. I have installed an Edge CS programmer and a Magnaflow muffler since I bought the truck in 2011. I also need to mention that I am receiving an error code P1174. which I have cleared once before.

Does anyone know what could be wrong and how do I fix the problem? I have the same problem on different tanks of gas and different programming settings. Any insight would help!

Thanks Everyone!

#4 ·
That code is for a fuel trim balance.
The Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance diagnostic detects a rich or a lean cylinder-to-cylinder air/fuel ratio imbalance. The diagnostic monitors the pre-catalyst heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) signal's frequency and amplitude characteristics by calculating an accumulated voltage over a predetermined sample period. An imbalance is indicated when multiple samples of the accumulated voltage are consistently higher than the desired value.

In other words it may be a bad O2 sensor! Lol

#5 ·
i'm not the only one with motor noise???????? wow i also have a really bad tick from the driver side...... when i'm sitting at a drive thru waiting for food it really sounds like shit! and if i very slowly get on the gas and do not force the trans to shift it will also tick like crazy!

#7 ·
yea i figured thats what it is.......... i might try to run some octane booster in a tank see if it helps any

#13 ·
A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.

#14 ·
A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer

#17 ·
Took the truck into the shop and found out my truck is burning oil. Crazy because that was the first thing I checked when the ticking started i realized it was a little low but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm doing the GM oil consumption test to see if I need a new piston or what other issue I may have. I do appreciate the help everyone! and will keep evey updated with the findings.

#20 ·
Good luck with getting this fixed. Sounds like a lifter tick. Just out of curiosity how many miles do you have on her and what type of oil are you using? Not that anything you did was wrong, it just seems every time I visit this or any other GM board someone is posting about his truck starting to use oil. I know there are plenty who don't use, but continued posts along these lines don't inspire lots of long-term confidence in the GM AFM equipped motors. Hope they get her sorted out for you.

#22 ·
Mine only has 3,100 miles on it. I'm still running the oil that came with the truck, I checked it the other day and it's still full.

A friend thought it might be something with the variable timing, but I have no idea. I would imagine it should be covered under warranty, though.

The noise is most noticeable when I'm parked next to a building, like in a drive thru or something. I also noticed that the speed of the ticking noise changes if I am in park, if I am in gear but with my foot on the brake (like waiting in the drive thru), or if I am moving.

The sound is intermittent, it comes and goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.