jQuery not supported.

HELP with low idle

Low idle issue with my new 5.3 vortec replacement engine

HELP with low idle

Postby wheelza85 [OP] » Jun 03 2010, 10:00pm

ok so i have an issue with my truck its a 2002 1500 with the 5.3 vortec. i am having an issue with a real low idle around 475 or 500 rpm, i was told its suppose to be up around 650 rpm. does anyone know what could be causing this or where to start looking besides just taking it to a chevy tech and letting them run tests on it.

the other thing which could be related to the low idle is that every cycle of the engine there is a point that sputters almost like its caming but its a stock cam and it only does it at one point in the engine cycle.

i am up for any ones input so let me know what yall guys think.
Original Poster
wheelza85
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Re: HELP with low idle

Postby 71 cuda man » Jun 11 2010, 12:34pm

How many miles on truck ? I'd have to guess on a clogged or stuck injector
71 cuda man
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1994
Extra Info: z71 5.7L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby randomhero » Jun 11 2010, 3:40pm

i have a 1999 silverado with the 5.3 literas well, and not long a go i had the same problem but along with that i had a cylinder 7 missfire, and i went and replaced/ updated the coil packs to the new delphi style verses the mitsubithi style, and also went and relpace all the 02 sensors, and only to realize that the problem lied within the fuel injectors, so just like 71 cuda man said most likely it is a fuel injector, if not look in to some of those other areas i mentioned,
randomhero
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l v8 z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Mr. Remarkable » Feb 09 2011, 6:36pm

I had a problem with mine idling up and down (almost turned off). I pulled out the IAC (idle air control) located on the right hand side of the throttle body. Look the part up so you know what it looks like. It had carbon build up on it so cleaned the IAC, IAC chamber and throttle body area with THROTTLE BODY cleaner (not carb cleaner, I was told it was too corrosive) and it idles perfectly now... That might be the problem, it's worth a shot if you haven't already checked it. Keep us posted.
Mr. Remarkable
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: V8 4.8 liter
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Engine