jQuery not supported.

High Capacity air cleaner vs Standard air cleaner

Difference between Std Air Filter and High Capacity Filter

High Capacity air cleaner vs Standard air cleaner

Postby jepics [OP] » Sep 13 2010, 3:45pm

On my 2009 Sierra 1500 SLE, the build sheet says I've got option K47 - High capacity air cleaner.

What is the difference between that and the standard air cleaner, and do they take the same filter?

I read the book and it says to change every 50,000 miles. I have never gone more than 12,000 miles on an air filter. Recommendations from this group?
Last edited by jepics on Sep 13 2010, 3:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
Original Poster
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Related Topics  Flipping the air cleaner lid?   Cloth Cleaner   Molding and Badges all gone. Much cleaner look.   Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner.anybody use?   Techron Cleaner dosage - Can you Overdose?   Picking up some fuel injector cleaner after work   I found the best cleaner for White Plasti Dip   Royal Purple fuel system cleaner   Air Spring Kits: Air Lift vs Firestone   Air intake mods - Ram air   AC blowing air but not COLD air   Air Lift Air Bags   no air   Getting cold air from somewhere??? 
Engine Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: High Capacity air cleaner vs Standard air cleaner

Postby lzn197 » Sep 13 2010, 3:51pm

It's just a paper filter with more pleats and more filter surface area. Well worth the extra money if you have to purchase a replacement filter. It used to be that the standard and the high capacity filter fit in the same housing.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby jepics [OP] » Sep 13 2010, 3:55pm

Thanks Gordon - I must have hit the send button without realizing it - never finished the question! But you answered it anyway!!

Anyway, I updated the post to complete the question
--John
Original Poster
jepics
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Sep 13 2010, 4:54pm

By the way, I have almost 70,000 on my factory "High capacity" filter. I NEVER (except when the truck was new to verify it was there....LOL) open the box to inspect it because my vehicle has the special little vacuum sensor that tells me when it is getting plugged. I inspect the sensor every month or so. Only about 1% of my driving is on dirt roads.

Quick tip: It is NOT a good idea to keep opening up your air filter box to look at the filter. Why? You compromise the sealability of the edge gasket. Yes you could create a leak around the filter!
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby 99chevyz71 » Sep 13 2010, 6:34pm

just a thought but i have seen black dirty filters with that gauge never working on several trucks so i wouldn't trust it to much
2008 Silverado Ext. Cab
99chevyz71
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Blogs: 0
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics [OP] » Sep 14 2010, 2:12am

lzn197 wrote:By the way, I have almost 70,000 on my factory "High capacity" filter. I NEVER (except when the truck was new to verify it was there....LOL) open the box to inspect it because my vehicle has the special little vacuum sensor that tells me when it is getting plugged. I inspect the sensor every month or so. Only about 1% of my driving is on dirt roads.

Quick tip: It is NOT a good idea to keep opening up your air filter box to look at the filter. Why? You compromise the sealability of the edge gasket. Yes you could create a leak around the filter!

Wow - 70k on one filter! They must have come up with a good side entrance for the air - most of the other cars & trucks I've had fill the airbox with leaves, bugs and sand.

I am also considering opening it up to verify its existence (and to see what happened in the first 10k miles). I've seen other air boxes that were difficult to close properly - good tip about the seal.
--John
Original Poster
jepics
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby thenutter » Oct 17 2010, 1:59pm

My little indicatior is broken off so I wonder if that is causing a leak, I didn't think it would matter since a lot of people open up their filter boxes anyways, any thoughts?
2003 Silverado 1500HD LT 121,100 miles.
Magnaflow dual exhaust. Westin side boards. K&N Drop in. 33in Nitro Terra Grapplers. Mobil 1 High Mileage. AVS bug guard. 3.73 Rear end. Mismatched Tonnue Cover.
thenutter
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 23
Blogs: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby EKinMN » Oct 17 2010, 2:17pm

I used to think that a small air leak should not be a big deal. But now I have seen that it definitely impacts engine and performance. A small air leak (which will also allow some particulates to get through) will show up as ihgher silicon levels if you do an engine oil analysis (UOA). It may not hurt the engine, but just knowing that a measureable amount of "stuff" is getting through to the oil is enough for me. Make sure everything is sealed up tight!

That said, I've generally gone about 30,000 on the high capacityair filter. At 30k, I generally do a fuel system cleaning, including throttle body,clean the MAF, and change the plugs and air filter.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby thenutter » Oct 17 2010, 2:32pm

I just did some of my tune up for 100k (have no idea what the previous owner did and at 118,000 miles the fuel filter was a horror story) I still have to replace plugs and wires but I am about to go to JRTC so family time si more important right now.

Anywho I replaced the bug and leaf infested filter with a K&N. I know a lot of people say it is less effective, however I don't go on dirt so I think it is fine for central Tx. If I was back in El Paso I would opt against it. I know the indicator is the same we use in the Army so maybe I can find "replacement parts" until then any idea on how to plug it up?
2003 Silverado 1500HD LT 121,100 miles.
Magnaflow dual exhaust. Westin side boards. K&N Drop in. 33in Nitro Terra Grapplers. Mobil 1 High Mileage. AVS bug guard. 3.73 Rear end. Mismatched Tonnue Cover.
thenutter
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 23
Blogs: 5
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Z15 » Oct 17 2010, 2:43pm

I agree, get that fixed yesterday. Duct tape it shut NOW because unfiltered air is going in your engine.

I recommend the AMSOIL EAA Air Filter. The high capacity one for the 2009-10 truck is EAA123. That was the first thing I installed in my truck the minute I got it home. AMSOIL EAA Nano-fiber air filter

You can look up products and fluid capacities for your vehicle at this link Product Lookup Guide

Here is a video on the air filters
[youtube]vdnueT5_jsE[/youtube]

Btw - This nano-fiber technology was licensed only to AMSOIL by the Donaldson Filter Corp., a corporate sponsor with AMSOIL Inc.

Fyi - The only difference between the standard air filter and the high capacity air filter is the air filter itself. You can add the high capacity filter to any standard filter box as the same box. This is true of the new trucks as well as those dating back in the 90's
Last edited by Austin on Oct 17 2010, 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wrapped your link in [youtube][/youtube] tags.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 125
Blogs: 0
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Engine