jQuery not supported.

Is my truck burning oil, what to do

Is my truck burning oil, what to do

Postby tony477g [OP] » Jul 30 2013, 12:52am

The truck had an oil change from the dealer done about 4000 miles ago with synthetic. I went and checked it today and its 2/5 on the oil dip stick. I just bought the truck and am now worried that it's burning oil. What should i do? Is it normal? It's a 2008 chevy silverado 5.3l 4x4 with 108,xxx miles
Original Poster
tony477g
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 33
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Burning Oil????   Any non oil burning 5.3L afm's out there?   burning oil fast   Why is burning oil bad?   5.3L Oil Burning--How bad is it really, and what should I do   The First Step to Stop Burning Oil   Burning Oil (Amsoil) at 205k   2012 sierra burning oil?   wohooo not burning oil! and a couple of questions.   AFM sucks burning a ton of oil   '95 TBi Running rough/burning oil?   Trade Oil Burning Sierra (2009 - 5.3 AFM)   Newly rebuilt 5.3L burning oil with less then 500 miles!?   Burning oil smell after major engine work, is this normal 
Engine Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Is my truck burning oil, what to do

Postby tony477g [OP] » Jul 30 2013, 3:34am

First pic looks like it's at the first hole but it's really at the second
Original Poster
tony477g
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tuner Boost » Jul 30 2013, 9:19pm

Just note when you check it every fill up and record the useage.....then you know first hand. You do check your fluids regularly, correct?
Tuner Boost
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Twin Turbo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Jul 30 2013, 10:47pm

tony477g wrote:The truck had an oil change from the dealer done about 4000 miles ago with synthetic. I went and checked it today and its 2/5 on the oil dip stick. I just bought the truck and am now worried that it's burning oil. What should i do? Is it normal? It's a 2008 chevy silverado 5.3l 4x4 with 108,xxx miles

For vehicles with oil consumption concerns, please be aware the accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced below is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). If you are truly concerned with your vehicle burning oil I advise that you take it into a dealership to have an oil consumption test done. I want to remind you that do to the mileage of the vehicle the cost for the test will have to be covered by the customer. If you need me to find a dealership in your area and schedule an appointment I would be more than happy to do so just private message me.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tuner Boost » Jul 30 2013, 11:03pm

Thx for the help Jessica. Your team is a great asset for the forums, really does (even if many don't appreciate the efforts).

The reality from an engine builder and tech that does this day in and day out, proper break in and then stopping the ingestion from the PCV system to start with and these engines will use NO noticeable oil between changes. 1 qt every 2k miles may be GM's stance as acceptable, or the threshold before corrective action can be taken, but the causes and cures are well known for those that want to avoid the issues from new, or to correct them and prevent further consumption issues down the road.

An example is the 3.6L LFX engine which now coms with the PCV fixed orfice the size we have been modifying them to for the past 3 plus years (LLT & LFX) to reduce the ingestion/consumption issue. Just one example of many the aftermarket R&D brings to the manufacturer.

And to all who think this is a GM only issue, it is not. It is a newer vehicle issue with the same cause & effect no matter what brand you have. Our first love is always GM, and we do a ton to promote and improve constantly. EVERY car in our race teams has GM based engines (well 632 CI may be a stretch as no components are GM, but all are GM BBC or LS based).
Tuner Boost
Topics: 4
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Twin Turbo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Jul 31 2013, 12:03am

Tuner Boost wrote:Thx for the help Jessica. Your team is a great asset for the forums, really does (even if many don't appreciate the efforts).

The reality from an engine builder and tech that does this day in and day out, proper break in and then stopping the ingestion from the PCV system to start with and these engines will use NO noticeable oil between changes. 1 qt every 2k miles may be GM's stance as acceptable, or the threshold before corrective action can be taken, but the causes and cures are well known for those that want to avoid the issues from new, or to correct them and prevent further consumption issues down the road.

An example is the 3.6L LFX engine which now coms with the PCV fixed orfice the size we have been modifying them to for the past 3 plus years (LLT & LFX) to reduce the ingestion/consumption issue. Just one example of many the aftermarket R&D brings to the manufacturer.

And to all who think this is a GM only issue, it is not. It is a newer vehicle issue with the same cause & effect no matter what brand you have. Our first love is always GM, and we do a ton to promote and improve constantly. EVERY car in our race teams has GM based engines (well 632 CI may be a stretch as no components are GM, but all are GM BBC or LS based).

Thank you kindly for the compliment. I can see that you're extremely knowledgeable and I truly appreciate you providing that information not only to me but other customers. Thank you again for that insight and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Best,

Jessica L.
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tony477g [OP] » Jul 31 2013, 12:56am

GM Customer Service wrote:
tony477g wrote:The truck had an oil change from the dealer done about 4000 miles ago with synthetic. I went and checked it today and its 2/5 on the oil dip stick. I just bought the truck and am now worried that it's burning oil. What should i do? Is it normal? It's a 2008 chevy silverado 5.3l 4x4 with 108,xxx miles

For vehicles with oil consumption concerns, please be aware the accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced below is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). If you are truly concerned with your vehicle burning oil I advise that you take it into a dealership to have an oil consumption test done. I want to remind you that do to the mileage of the vehicle the cost for the test will have to be covered by the customer. If you need me to find a dealership in your area and schedule an appointment I would be more than happy to do so just private message me.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
GM Customer Care

If that is the case, can you tell me two things, is each dot 1/4 a quart on the dip stick? So is it that I'm missing at the moment 3/4 quart? So what should I do? Just dump more oil in there?
Original Poster
tony477g
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tony477g [OP] » Jul 31 2013, 5:04pm

anyone?
Original Poster
tony477g
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Jul 31 2013, 5:06pm

Trade it!

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • OEM Style Electric Fans
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor
Topics: 47
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Jul 31 2013, 5:10pm

With all the incentives and rebates on 2013s you could come out pretty good if you traded...

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • OEM Style Electric Fans
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor