jQuery not supported.

Low Oil Pressure

Low Oil Pressure

Postby rglickman [OP] » Jun 06 2010, 2:49am

I have an issue with low oil pressure. The oil pressure gauge was working very erratically for a long time. I finally got around to replacing the oil pressure sensor. Now the truth comes out. When the engine is cold it stays at about 40 psi. When the engine gets warm, the pressure drops. When I am running at speed it stays around 30 psi. At an idle it drops to about 5 psi and the "check gauges” lights come on. My guesses are either that I have a bad oil pump or worn bearings. It is not smoking or knocking. I am running 5W 30. I am going to switch to 10W-30. >>

Need help quick! Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Original Poster
rglickman
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1992
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 350 CI
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  oil cooler line failed. oil everywhere low oil pressure.   Low oil pressure reading, too much oil, seized at crank   6.0 no/low oil pressure after new oil pump install   low oil pressure after oil change   Low oil pressure   Low Oil Pressure   Low Oil Pressure HELP   baffled at low oil pressure   Low oil pressure message??   low oil pressure no knocking   Low Oil Pressure and Knocking   Sucked up water, low oil pressure   Low oil pressure + knock - not sensor or pump   No / Low Oil Pressure and Loud Lifter Chatter 
Engine Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Low Oil Pressure

Postby duane4238 » Jun 06 2010, 2:29pm

I had the same problem in a Jeep CJ7 I use to have. After warmup, I'd have between 0 and 5 psi oil pressure. To bring things up a bit, I ran 10w40 synthetic and put in 2 to 3 bottles of STP. It worked and brought the pressure up to where I was comfortable. I know a lot of guys think the STP is snakeoil, but we used it for years in our stock car engine and never had one oil related problem. Give it a try.
duane4238
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1998
Extra Info: 5L 4x4 Z71 Ex Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rglickman [OP] » Jun 06 2010, 11:23pm

Thanks,

I switched over today to 10W-30 and actualy had the same thought and put in 1 bottle of STP. I am going to see how that goes. I am a little hesitant about going to the 10W 40 right away. The owners manual is pretty adament about not using it. On the other hand, I change oil every 3000 miles so it really wouldn't have the opportunity to sludge up.
Original Poster
rglickman
Year: 1992
Extra Info: 350 CI
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Jun 09 2010, 3:30pm

You didn't say how many miles were on your unit or the age but for now using 10w30 and some stp will help. Have you recently changed a camshaft on this engine and maybe nicked a bearing or changed a valve lifter? In the old days we just put in straight 30w oil in the warm weather and it helped an old engine through many more miles. The only problem with 10w40 is it is made from cheaper oil stock and not as durable as 10w30.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Blogs: 16
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Return to Engine