Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Need help! Ticking problem!

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Silverbeast 
#1 ·
Hello. New to this forum but figured I could get advice better than anywhere else. I have a 2000 Silverado 2WD 5.3L. This truck is a family heirloom bought new by my parents and has been great ever since. has over 240K miles on it and still running like a champ. Just about year ago, it began making this weird tapping noise. It's really noticeable when you go up a hill. First the RPM will bog down and the exhaust will get quiet (super 44's) and this loud but soft ticking noise (sounds like valves rattling) comes from the engine. I've heard it could be all kinds of things just trying to get some more definite answers. One of my friends has a 2002 that did the same thing and he said he changed his knock sensor and it stopped. I've also heard it could be a bad Oxygen sensor. any help, comments are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

#2 ·
Even an exhaust leak from the passenger side collector (notorious on the 1500) can make a ticking noise that sounds like it is coming from the engine, as well as the heat shields over the exhaust manifolds (they tend to deteriorate and loosen).

This is going to be a trial and error problem, unfortunately...but we have a great group of mechanics on this forum that will no doubt chime in. Good luck with that problem!

#3 ·
Agreed, sounds like an exhaust leak. My truck does it too (2002 1500) I can see where my driverside collector gasket is blown out and leaking (soot on the flange.) FYI, if you go to buy gaskets for it to do it yourself, and you determine it is the drivers side, you likely won't find the collector gasket for the driverside. They usually only list the donut type gasket, and most stores I've been too only list the one for the passenger side. SUPPOSEDLY, this is the preferred replacement. It is a crush type donut. I haven't torn mine apart yet to fix it, but I bought the donut they listed for the driverside, even though I can see that it is a 3 bolt flange with a flat gasket. I'll see if it works. Worst case scenario, it was only $3.99 wasted.

#5 ·
If you're getting new cats installed, they'll probably replace the piping between the cats and the manifolds anyways. They'll just replace the gaskets when you do it. Just make sure to let them know you have a leak somewhere, and ask if they plan on just replacing the piping anyways. Most muffler shops will have all the gaskets and everything they need, or have the ability to make their own. Shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like you're in business. :)

#6 ·
Real quick, just call the shop you plan on doing the work a few days before you go in and let them know about your leak, that way they can plan on coming up with whatever parts are needed to fix it.

#8 ·
Haha, no they're not. I'm averaging about 13mpg. I'm afraid to see what its gonna drop to when I put my new tires on. They're slightly taller than my old ones and a bit heavier.

Depending on how bad your exhaust leak is, and what cats you put on it, your mileage should get better after you get your exhaust fixed.

Glad I could give you some insight, hopefully it works out for you. Post a follow up after you get your exhaust done, you'll probably get yours fixed before I get mine fixed. I'm curious to see what they do to replace that driverside gasket.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.