jQuery not supported.

OBDII check engine codes, P0300, P0154, P1153

OBDII check engine codes, P0300, P0154, P1153

Postby bezolb [OP] » Jul 09 2011, 5:47pm

Hello,
2003 silverado HD 119,000 miles, single exhaust. I had a check engine light come on & AutoZone decoded the codes listed(P0300 - random misfire, P0154 - bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor no activity, & P1153 - bank 2 sensor 1 insufficient switching). Looks like the obvious culprit would be the O2 sensor, but just want to see if anyone else has suggestions before I start throwing money at this issue. I pruchased the truck used this past January so I don't know its complete history. Thanks for any input,
Original Poster
bezolb
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: OBDII check engine codes, P0300, P0154, P1153

Postby themutt101 » Jul 09 2011, 6:46pm

I would check the spark plugs first if they have never been touched then that's probably why theirs a misfire
but as fare as the o2 codes yes you would have to most likely have replace the o2 sensors to get those to go away.
themutt101
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 22
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 1500
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby 77ihwheeler » Jul 10 2011, 3:13pm

Also check the cap and rotor I had a miss and it was because the connections in the cap bad
77ihwheeler
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 1998
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bezolb [OP] » Jul 11 2011, 1:47pm

thanks for replies thus far. i forgot to mention just after i bought this truck i had the plugs & fuel filter replaced. truck actually runs just fine, no rough idle or sputter. however yesterday i filled up with gas & check eng light went from steady on to flashing & started running rough. after a few minutes it cleared up & chk eng light is on steady. i recall now that first time I put gas in this truck the eng light came on. i bought a new O2 sensor & will be replacing that soon. i'll update later.
Original Poster
bezolb
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Jul 16 2011, 5:10am

What plugs did you put in it?
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 51
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby bezolb [OP] » Jul 26 2011, 3:32am

I finally got around to replacing the o2 sensor. the old one was a bear to get out. finally did so by heating up exhaust pipe around the sensor & then hitting the sensor with a coolant/freeze spray. the truck started fine & so far so good. But is there a way for me to clear the check engine light w/o taking it in to a shop? autozone said they can't clear it, or else they would be fined.
Original Poster
bezolb
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 77ihwheeler » Jul 26 2011, 3:48am

Sometimes disconnecting the battery for awhile will clear a check engine light or if you drive the truck long enough with the problem fixed it will clear itself
77ihwheeler
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mtank » Jul 26 2011, 3:54am

I experienced this on a 2002 Chevy Trailbalzer with the 6 cylinder. After replacing plugs, 2 igniter packs, and both O2 sensors I had the catallytic converter changed. Done, gone. This took a week to work out!
One ignitor pack went bad during plug changes (rotten luck).
One was questionable so I changed it.
There's a trick to making sure your problem is gone once you get the code reset. This is my wifes truck. The light came back on at the EXACT same place for 3 days during her commute to work.
Most O2 sensors "pre heat" during that pause most people do when turning the ignition key. The pre heat gets them up to temp quicker so that they are more effective during cold starts.---reduces pollution.
Most vehicles need to go through a cycle before the codes you mentioned will register.---provides a bit of a tolerance for minute fails or momentary poor performance.
Now, since each vehicle is a bit different in terms of this "cycle" I suggest you research it a bit. Generally, the cycle needs to be a cold start, minimal warm up, Drive at sustained 45 mph, brake to a complete stop, accelerate to 55 mph and sustain for 5 minutes, then coast to 45 mph, then complete stop. Park, turn off, start up and repeat...some vehicle it takes 3 times!!! It's a royal pain but it's better than thinking it's fixed..until the wife calls to inform you (see above).
Ultimately I had the cat changed and problem went away.

My buddy who owns the V8 version of the Trailblazer had the same problem. He listened to me and changed BOTH cats...they were crumbling inside.

Not the same vehicle, I realize that, but the info is applicable. I hope it helps.

I bought a code reader a long time ago so that I can read/troubleshoot and reset myself. Great $90 investment.
mtank
Topics: 3
Year: 2007
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.6L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bezolb [OP] » Jul 27 2011, 3:46am

I left the battery cables off overnight, & then turned on the light switch before reconnecting them the next today. engine light was cleared. I took a test drive & wow what a difference. I could instantly tell a difference in gas mileage (by watching dash computer display). before the O2 sensor replacement if i just touched the gas pedal while cruising on level terrain the gas milage would drop off considerably (8mpg). It was difficult to get this truck to display 15mpg, & almost impossible to get anything better than that - maybe going downhill with the wind behind me. It really had to be nursed along to get 14/15 mpg. This evening while cruising along i was getting a consistant 19/20 mpg. I had these symptoms (bad mpg disply) even before the engine light ever came on. So I guess the O2 got bad enough to finally turn on the idiot light. I hope this is the fix.

I'm thinking of getting a scan device to hook into the OBDII port & use my laptop to readout the info. Brand name is ELM327 & uses eiother a USB or Blue Tooth connection with the diagnostic software running on your laptop. Anyone have any experience with this? Typical prices are $26 or so.
Original Poster
bezolb
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 77ihwheeler » Jul 27 2011, 5:30am

I have one of those devices that you are talking about mine connects through Bluetooth and I have an app on my phone that is connects to and i t works great have used it many times.
77ihwheeler
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Engine