Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Squealing belt

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lzn197 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hope you all had an awesome christmas. Anywho this isn't related to my truck, it's on my girlfriends 2000 sunfire gt 2.4. The belt was squealing pretty bad a few weeks ago so I changed the belt and tensioner. Everything was fine until last night it started again. It does its high pitched squealing right at start up for a second, then goes away, and does it again when steering at low rpm. It has the cam driven power steering pump, not belt driven. I don't know what else to check out... Any pointers? She's embarrassed to drive it like this, it's pretty loud.

thanks guys.

#3 ·
Hmmmm, to me it sounds like a slipping belt, it has that super high pitched squeal. Does it only sometimes, even when warmed up. Checked it out again today and it seems like the belt does have too much slack, and when I press on the belt, the tensioner releases quite easily, so I'm thinking it's a defective part. (dayco). I'm going to replace it this weekend under warranty (as well as new belt) and hope that fixes it. All the pulleys are aligned as well.

#5 ·
That's what I was going to try when I tackle it this weekend. Pretty sure its just got the crank, alt, A/C and the tensioner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.