Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stopped and won't start

13K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  1992chevy1500 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 GMC Sierra V6 4X4 and one day while driving along the engine died and will not start. I have changed the fuel filter and nothing. So I figured it could be the fuel pump, ordered one up and installed and still it won't start.

Any ideas on what could be causing the engine to just stop and not want to restart???

Thanks for the help.

I'm a newbie here, great site!!!

#2 ·
First I'd make sure it has spark.remove a plug wire if you have any old spark plug great .Plug it in ground it to metal not alumium & crank engine you should see it fire.If it fires great then go to fuel system get a fuel pressure gauge & check pressure.if no pressure check for voltage going to pump.It could be a blown fuse,bad wire/connection or a bad ground.
I hope this was helpful
Good Luck

#3 ·
You also might pull a valve cover and crank the engine while watching the rocker arms to check and see if you haven't lost your timing chain or gear. If all rockers go up and down, then your chain and gears are OK. Also, if you have spark, check to make sure that you are firing at the correct timing. You could have lost a couple of teeth on the timing gear, or if it's one that has the plastic teeth around the steel gear, it could have let loose and slipped, causing your timing to be completely off and thus no start. Good luck!

#4 ·
hi i have a 92 chevy 1500 an i had this same problem a couple weeks ago and i did all the same steps you did new fuel filter new fuel pump and sending unit new relay all that. then i decided to look in my chiltons repair manual and i found the problem it turned out the the wires for the fuel pump relay go threw the oil presure switch on the back of the block and my sensor quit working and killed power to the fuel pump so i got a new switch and she fired right up my only problem now is my fuel gauge quit working and i cant figure that out but it starts up every time.. so try replaceing the oil presure switch located on the back of the block and it shoudl work at least mine did

hope this is helpfull

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.