jQuery not supported.

Sudden loss of oil pressure, 4.3L

Sudden loss of oil pressure, 4.3L

Postby 05silver [OP] » Feb 12 2013, 4:30am

I was driving a long last night when my truck died suddenly, looking down I saw that the console said "low oil pressure". I coasted the truck to the side, checked the oil (full) and tried to fire it back up, no luck. No tach pulse on the dash, assumed dizzy.

Pulled the distributor cap, cranked engine, rotor spins...

Pulled the distributor for the heck of it, gear shows normal wear, pump slot is good and the pump spins freely with a screw driver. Distributor does seem to have a lot of vertical play, not sure if that matters when it's bolted down though.

Installed a new oil pressure sensor from the dealer as I've had bad luck with the aftermarket ones, re-timed engine, same old same, cranks over, no fire.

Thoughts? Truck has 145k on it, possible oil pump? Pick up tube fell off? Am I focusing too much on the oil side of things given I seen the "low oil pressure" light?
Original Poster
05silver
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Sudden loss of oil pressure, 4.3L

Postby country1911 » Feb 12 2013, 5:13am

Takes three things to make a motor run, air, fuel and spark. Are you getting fuel and spark in the cylinder? The low oil pressure warning could have come from the motor suddenly shutting down. Or it may be related. Have you taken a manual oil pressure reading while cranking the pump?
country1911
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: LTZ 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Sudden loss of oil pressure, 4.3L

Postby ASTE25 » Feb 12 2013, 6:38am

Well, I'm sure it's probably not causing the original problem, but, now that you pulled the distributor you will have to have the camshaft position sensor reset with someone that has a diagnostic scanner. I would hook a manual pressure gauge to it and see what kind of pressure you have while cranking it.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Engine