Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

The notorious GM Belt Squeak

96K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ofblong 
#1 ·
I've got an 09 Silverado 4.3 with just over 30k on the clock. I got it last November. Shortly after, the belt started to squeak when the engine was cold, and it was a bit worse if there was moisture in the air. I put a new gatorback belt on and the problem went away for a few months. For the past month or so, the squeaking is back and its getting worse, especially if there is any moisture in the air. After about 10 minutes and the engine getting up to full operating temp, the noise goes away. Its still pretty annoying.

From doing some more research it seems like this is a common problem with GMs. In fact I have noticed that many of the GM trucks at work do the same thing. It seems the consensus is that its a belt alignment problem.

Is this something I should take it to the dealer for, or is it a common enough problem that any competent repair shop should be able to fix it.

How would a dealer remedy the solution and how much should I expect it to cost?

#3 ·
GM Customer Service said:
If it is just a normal feature then you may only be charged a diagnoses fee or nothing at all.

Jessica L.
GM Customer Care
Free at a Dealer :lol:

Tagging this for answer, because my 08 does the same thing. I thought I might have a bad bearing somewhere, but now that it has warmed up out, no noise. When it's winter time and cold, or wet, like you said, I get the squeek/squeel.

#4 ·
#08-06-01-015: Accessory Drive Belt/Serpentine Belt Noise, Chirp, Squeal or Squeak (Check Pulley Alignment and Replace Belt, If Necessary) - (Jul 14, 2008)

Subject: Accessory Drive Belt / Serpentine Belt Noise, Chirp, Squeal or Squeak (Check Pulley Alignment and Replace Belt, If Necessary)

Models: 2008-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado HD, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS

2009 Chevrolet Colorado, Express

2008-2009 GMC Envoy, Envoy Denali, Sierra, Sierra HD, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

2009 GMC Canyon, Savana

2008-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

2008-2009 Saab 9-7X V8

with Vortec® GEN IV V8 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, 6.2L or Engine (VINs 3, 4 , M, L, 0, C, J, H, U, Y, K, 8, 2 -- RPOs LY2, LC9, LMF, LH6, LH8, LMG, LY5, LS2, L76, LY6, L92, L9H)

with or without Active Fuel Management System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on an accessory drive belt / serpentine belt chirp, squeal or squeak noise from the engine compartment at idle or while driving.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a misaligned pulley and/or the accessory drive belt creating the noise.

Correction
Notice: Do not use belt dressing or silicone on the drive belt. Belt dressing may cause the composition of the drive belt to break down. Failure to follow this recommendation will damage the drive belt.

Tip
Several aftermarket companies offer laser alignment tools for accessory drive systems that can be very helpful in eliminating drive belt noise as a result of misaligned pulleys. Refer to Service Bulletin 08-06-01-008. Additional information on EN-49228 Laser Belt Alignment Tool can also be found in GM TECH LINK Publication, June 2008 Volume 10, No 6.

Check and/or adjust pulley alignment, then replace the accessory drive belt, if necessary. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement-Accessory in SI.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Belt, Fan & Water Pump & Generator & Power Steering Pump

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J0667
Belt, Primary Accessory Drive - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Add
Diagnosis Time to Check and Adjust Pulley Alignment
0.0-0.3 hr

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)

Labor Operation
Description
Failed Object
Fault/Reason
Location Code
Warranty Type
Repair/Action Code
Labor Time

Belt, Primary Accessory Drive - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Add
Diagnosis Time to Check and Adjust Pulley Alignment
--
--
--
--
--
0.0-0.3 hr

#05-06-01-018B: Accsssory Drive Belt Chirp, Squeal or Squeak Type Noise at Cold idle (Replace A/C Compressor/Power Steering Pump Mounting Bracket or Enlarge Bracket Bolt Holes) - (Feb 9, 2011)

Subject: Accessory Drive Belt Chirp, Squeal or Squeak Type Noise at Cold Idle (Replace A/C Compressor/Power Steering Pump Mounting Bracket or Enlarge Bracket Bolt Holes)

Models: 2004-2010 Chevrolet Silverado

2006-2010 Chevrolet Express

2004-2010 GMC Sierra

2006-2010 GMC Savana

Equipped with 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engine (VINs D, 2 - RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and RPOs. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-018A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Important: It should be noted that a chirp type noise on engine shutdown is normal for a diesel engine due to higher engine compression and the rapid stopping of the crankshaft. No repairs should be attempted for this condition.

Some customers may comment on an accessory drive belt chirp, squeal, or squeak type noise at idle, especially on a cold start. The noise may be reduced or go away after the engine warms up.

Cause
Some 2004/2005 Silverado or Sierra trucks, with a 6.6L LLY engine produced before June, 2004, may have an A/C compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket and power steering rear mounting bracket that are machined slightly out of specification, causing a misaligned power steering pump.

If the power steering pump is misaligned, it will force the accessory drive belt to run farther inboard on the fan pulley. When the belt leaves the fan pulley, the belt will not align properly to the crankshaft pulley grooves and create a chirp or squeak type noise at the point of interference.

Vehicles built after June 2004 will already have the new A/C compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket installed, but still may exhibit belt noise caused by the power steering pump rear mounting bracket.

Correction
Vehicles built prior to June 2004, replace the A/C compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket.

Vehicles built after June 2004, enlarge the rear power steering pump bracket bolt holes.

•Follow the published service information (SI) diagnostics for drive belt chirping. The diagnostic chart for the drive belt chirping will ask to inspect for a misaligned accessory drive pulley.
Important: Remove the top section of the radiator shroud and TCM/cover to gain access to check alignment and measure the power steering pulley on the power steering pump shaft.

•Verify that the power steering pulley is properly pressed onto the power steering pump shaft. Refer to SI for the power steering pulley replacement. If the pulley needs to be realigned on the power steering pump shaft, follow the published SI procedures for the power steering pulley replacement.

•If the noise was not fully eliminated by the procedure in step 2, the power steering pulley may be adjusted with an allowable maximum variance of 1.0 mm (0.039 in) to the front from the flush position on the shaft to assist in eliminating any remaining belt noise. Refer to graphic illustration number 1 and number 2. Ensure that the power steering pump pulley illustration number 1 is flush against the power steering pump shaft illustration number 2, with an allowable variance of 1.0 mm (0.039 in).
•If the noise was not fully eliminated by the procedure in step 3, and there are no other concerns found, follow the published SI diagnostics for drive belt chirping. Then, if the vehicle was built prior to June 2004 go to step 5. If the vehicle was built after June 2004, go to step 6.

•Vehicles Built Prior to June 2004:
5.1. Replace the A/C compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket with P/N 97362175. Refer to graphic illustration number 1. Follow the published SI procedures for the Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor and Power Steering Pump Mounting Bracket Replacement.

5.2. With the new A/C compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket installed, reposition the power steering pump to gain access to drill larger holes into the rear mounting bracket using a 14 mm (1/2") drill bit. Drilling the bolt holes larger will ensure proper alignment of the bracket when installing the bolts. Refer to graphic illustration number 2.

5.3. Install the power steering pump to the A/C compressor/power steering pump bracket. Refer to graphic illustration numbers 4, 2, and 1.

Important: Power steering pump front mounting bolts must always be tightened first to ensure correct pulley alignment.

5.4. Refer to graphic illustration number 4 and tighten the front power steering pump mounting bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

5.5. Refer to graphic illustration number 2 and tighten the rear power steering bracket bolts.

Tighten

•Vehicles Built After June 2004:
6.1. Remove the front and rear power steering bracket bolts from the A/C compressor/power steering pump bracket. Refer to graphic illustration numbers 4, 2, and 1.

6.2. Reposition the power steering pump to gain access to drill larger holes into the rear mounting bracket using a 14 mm (1/2 in) drill bit. Drilling the bolt holes larger will ensure proper alignment of the bracket when installing the bolts. Refer to graphic illustration number 2.

6.3. Install the power steering pump to A/C compressor/power steering pump bracket. Refer to graphic illustration numbers 4, 2, and 1.

Important: Power steering pump front mounting bolts must always be tightened first to ensure correct pulley alignment.

6.4. Refer to graphic illustration number 4 and tighten the front power steering pump mounting bolts.

Tighten

6.5. Refer to graphic illustration number 2 and tighten the rear bracket bolts.

Tighten

Dual Generator System
New belts are not available for dual generator systems. If a belt chirp noise is occurring on a dual generator system, please complete a Field Product Report (FPR). The instructions for completing a FPR can be found in Service Bulletin Number 02-00-89-002G.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Bracket, A/C Compressor and Power Steering Pump Mounting

Warranty Information

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J7509*
A/C Compressor and Power Steering Pump Mounting Bracket - Replace

(Vehicles Built Prior to June, 2004)
0.7 hr

Add:
Enlarge Rear Power Steering Pump Bracket Bolt Holes

(Vehicles Built After June, 2004)
0.3 hr

Add:
Removal of Auxiliary Generator (if equipped)
0.1 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

#5 ·
I've been chasing this one for over a year now and finally had some success. Past belts I've tried have only made it for two or three weeks before squeaking. I've replaced pulleys and tried three different belt manufacturers, including the Continental "Elite" belt, which is similar to the "Gatorback." A mechanic that I trust told me to try a factory belt. I've been squeak free for two months and counting. I'm sorry I didn't save the paperwork or label, but I got it at the local Chevy dealer.
Rudy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.