Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ticking Distributor?

6K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Levman74 
#1 ·
I hear a ticking noise sitting in cab while truck is running. Sound is loudest when I put my ear close to floor in the center of the cab under the dash.
It ticks faster with high rpms but not in time with rpms. The tick takes a second or two to slow down after the rpms come down.
I can hear it under the hood but not well. Kinda sounds like its coming from distributor or behind the distributor.
My CEL light light flickers faint and fast when key is in ON position and when running. Ticking doesnt start until truck is running tho.
I feel they are related somehow
Almost sounds like electrical short ticking but I cant see what it would be from, Ive moved wires all around (in between motor and firewall) and it doesn't change anything.
Yesterday it ticked louder than normal and didn't want to accelerate on the highway.
Im getting about 5-6mpg no exaggeration!
Only code Im getting is 51 prom error which I have already ordered but Im scared to install, scared it will be shorted out by whatever is causing the ticking
Please help!!

#3 ·
Well the plugs & wires are brand new and it didn't change at all before or after new plugs n wires. I will try the radio in a minute tho!

#4 ·
Couldnt hear anything thru radio...
Just took out the PROM chip and started it up and It runs/ticks exactly the same. Runs fairly smooth when warm. Just GUZZLING the gas and really lacking power.

#6 ·
No, I'm still waiting for the part to come in. (PROM CHIP). But I'm a bit reluctant to install it... I'm worried it may get fried because I don't know why it went out in the first place, maybe just its time but i don't know...
Its suppose to be here tomorrow. I was just fishing for some more answers before I chanced installing it.

$180 for the same exact chip that's in a Personal computer (BIOS) that you can buy for approx $20..... probably with less programming too. Bull****

#7 ·
Well the PROM came in earlie, went to get it and ended up finding out my truck is suffering from identity crisis..... It thinks its a 90-91 chevy blazer V6.
Someone stuck the wrong ECM in it. I can buy a new ECM but it doesn't come with a PROM. The PROM is COMPLETELY discontinued. ONLY place I can get one is from junk yard, ain't that some shit..

#10 ·
But if you bought a new prom for the correct ECM, then you wouldn't have to get another one correct? Or did you just part # match the old one? Wouldn't fret about it too much, there are tons of identical trucks in the boneyards, you'll find it if you just have them look up the identical specs.

#11 ·
Well they dont even make the proms anymore, I cant buy them from the dealer,factory,aftermarket...anywhere. what I was actually ordering and didnt know it was just performance chips, they never told me at the racing shop, some web site's list them as prom chips not performance chips. Only prob with finding one at a junk yard is no one junks a 4x4... I dont know if my 4 wheel drive will work or not. Im sure it will run a lot better with one "closer" to what it suppose to be so thats the plan. find one for a 350 close to my year as possible.
Trying to match numbers with all the wrong numbers had me all cluster****ed too

#12 ·
lzn197 said:
So how did you get this truck? I'm sure you didnt just wake up one day and it was there. What is the story. Maybe others can learn from this.
I guess we shall never know the whole story. At one time, this truck did run right.........correct? Then later somehow it got some wrong parts.

#13 ·
I just bought it off an individual. The truck looks great inside and out and doesn't run that bad. it just has a tic you can hardly hear outside the vehicle, doesn't miss/cut out just not a lot of power unless I really punch it which I never do while it in this state. Didnt know how much gas it was using until after I bought it.

Ive dug thru almost 20 trucks and havent found one yet, been all over the yards around me. Hard to find one for a 350 the right year 94-95. All of them have been v6 and none were 4x4. only one I found that was close was for 1993 350 manual tranny. I have auto....

Almost wonder if he didnt change the wiring to get it to fit a old ecm. Mine wiring harness fits all the ones that are to old. It has 2 blue, two different sizes on the connectors. All the 94's i seen had 1 red, 1 blue, both same size, but they were all v6 so i dont know if it would be the same

#14 ·
Ok, So my truck has been completely re-wired to fit an older style ECM. So to fix it I have to get a new engine wiring harness, find a PROM chip that has been completely discontinued and get a new ECM.
I found an ECM for a older v8 that fits mine (replaced the one for a v6) now I think im running on all 8. When I gas it hard now there is NO hesitation. Feels like the timing is right on. (I knew it was its just acting like it now:) And now I have power!
Not sure if the gas mileage has improved yet but you can stand right next to it while its running now without getting a major buzz from the fumes.

Thanks for the help and ideas!
Finally a little resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.