Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

ticking sound on start up

45K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  MouSe 
#1 ·
Starting a couple weeks ago on cold start up i would get a ticking ...its not everytime just sometimes and i have been trying a couple days now to take a video but it hasnt happened until this morning. i am not sure what it is but to me it sounds like lifters...what do yall think?

i will be taking it tot he dealer here probably tomorrow but want to go in there with some sort of opinions first here is a youtube video i took...sorry for the shakyness and the crappy cell phone quality...

#4 ·
60K on it its a 2007.5 with afm...i bought it with 40K on the truck a year n a half ago....
and yeah it doesnt do it everytime just sometimes i noticed that it is typically when it is colder out in the mornings...how bad do you think the sound it cause it makes me mad...i mean its not like a rod slap or anything so i dont see it being really damaging at this point but in the future....like i said i definetly want to get it looked at for sure.

#5 ·
Just curious...what oil are ya running in it? Not that oil would cause this, but I am curious.

#6 ·
my truck does the same thing. I just posted about it under the 5.3 fourm called question about engine oil. I was told it was a piston slap...

#7 ·
I thought piston slap was a deeper sound, and comes from lower on the engine. Yes?

#8 ·
i dunno. Thats why i need help as well...

#10 ·
i run whatever is required weight is i believe 5w30....and i run mobil 1 full synthetic in her...and the last 2 times i have added lucas oil stabilizer as well....i change it religious every 3 months or under 5K miles...

and dang man piston slap ill slap them with something if they tell me that it didnt do it a few weeks ago at all....so i dont want it to do it now! lol

what do you think my best bet would be when i get there and hear what the dealer has to say...

also just curious i have a chevy dealer 10 minutes from me that i can take my truck to compaired to me having to take it 40 minutes where i bought it...do you think i will get the same outcome if i go to a different dealer for service? i still gotta pay 100 out of pocket because im in extended warranty

#12 ·
#01-06-01-028B: Engine Knock on Cold Start - (Oct 3, 2011)
Subject: Engine Knock on Cold Start

Models: 1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)

Equipped with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ4)

2007-2012 Cadillac Escalade Models

2007-2012 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2012 GMC Sierra, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

Equipped with 6.2L Engine (RPOs L92, L94, L9H)

This bulletin is being revised to update the Models section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-028A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first 19,000-24,000♦km (12,000-15,000♦mi) of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial start-up and typically disappears within the first 5-30♦seconds (may last longer in extreme cold temperatures). The noise is usually more noticeable on the initial start-up when the temperature is below 10°C (50°F) and may be more pronounced on the first cold start following a long trip.
This noise may be caused by an interaction between carbon that has formed on the piston, the piston motion and the cylinder wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines with this condition, has confirmed that the noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine. THIS NOISE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE LONGEVITY OF ANY OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS.
Important: At this time, attempts to repair this condition by replacing the engine assembly or pistons are not recommended.
Please share the information found in this bulletin with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise your District Manager Aftersales (U.S.) (in Canada, District Manager - Customer Care and Service Process (DM-CCSP).

#13 ·
#10-06-01-007C: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters) - (Feb 9, 2011)
Subject: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters)

Models: 2007 Buick Rainier

2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Cadillac Escalade

Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 (These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled)

2010-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2007-2011 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali

2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 9-7X

Equipped with AFM (Active Fuel Management) and V8 Engine RPO L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5 or LZ1

This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI. This bulletin is being revised to add models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-007B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

Cause

This condition may be caused by any of the following:
• Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.

• A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.

• Dirty or contaminated oil.

• A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.

• Debris in the valve lifter.

• A high valve lifter leak down rate.

Correction

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:
1 Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.

⇒ If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.

Note: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the tick noise.
2 Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.

⇒ If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 16 valve lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Note: A V8 AFM engine requires 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters for a total of 16 lifters.

Part Number 
Description 
Qty

Non AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter 

AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter 

Warranty Information (excluding Saab Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation 
Description 
Labor Time

J0627 
Valve Lifter Replacement - Both Sides 
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Warranty Information (Saab Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Saab Labor Operation 
Description 
Failed Object 
Fault/Reason Code 
Location Code 
Warranty Type 
Repair/Action Code 
STM Labor Time

21421-12 
Replace part, Depressor 
01 (Replace) 
Use Published STM Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.  WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

#14 ·
well thank you..i think the second one sounds right lol....thaks alot ill take that with me to the dealer...2 bad its out of warranty and i gotta use my after market warranty

#15 ·
Interesting how the TSB talks about oil condition and quality. Another reminder to everyone to use only the best oil and filters....

#16 ·
Had the same problem, took it in to Dealership. They kept it over night and heard same complaint. Dealership did changed out lifters, there was TSB ( as stated above ). Took another day, zero problems since then. WARRANTY

#17 ·
ok yeah see im concered because of course i went to video it this morning and it didnt do it!!!! so i might do it over the weekend take it on a friday and have them check it on saturday so im not out a day without my truck....

but good to know you got it taken care of...thats what i think they will do and maybe do the rearmain seal again because its leaking oil still

#19 ·
it was orignally purched in july of 2007 so im out of warranty by like 3 months...i have extended warranty so i will definetly get it fixed over that and i printed out the tsb to take in with me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.