jQuery not supported.

Vapor Lock

How to eliminate vapor lock?

Vapor Lock

Postby buck [OP] » May 20 2010, 4:42pm

I have a 1989 Silverado which recently developed vapor lock symptoms when enginge gets hot. Yesterday heard loud bang while driving (backfire) and truck stopped running. After five hours of cooling started just fine. Any ideas on how to fix?
Original Poster
buck
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1989
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: HD 2500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Vapor Lock

Postby HOTROD HELL » May 20 2010, 7:13pm

vapor lock is caused between the tank and the pump. looked for clogged, cracked, or bent or squished lines anything that would cause it to restrict flow, also check the gas cap might be worth replacing as they get older they dont relieve pressure or vaccuum which can also cause it, other wise it could be in the tank you may have to clean the screan in tank they tend to get rusty and clogged. Granted it could just be your pump have you replaced it recently?
HOTROD HELL
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500hd 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby buck [OP] » May 21 2010, 7:05am

fuel pump is in the gas tank. I replaced it about two years ago and all filters were clean then. Can see no bent or crimped lines. If I remove the gas cap, should that eliminate the potential for a vapor lock within the tank?
Original Poster
buck
Topics: 1
Year: 1989
Extra Info: HD 2500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby HOTROD HELL » May 21 2010, 8:33am

yes it should but it needs to be sealed because it does use the natural vaccuum of having the tank sealed you can pick up a gas cap at any parts store for a couple dollars.
HOTROD HELL
Topics: 2
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2500hd 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby michiganredneck » Aug 22 2010, 8:50pm

I first always use good quality fuel. Second, try to direct the heat away from the lines and carb. second, a GOOD phenolic spacer will help reduce heat, and third, routing the fuel lines a little farther from the exhaust manifold will help. I have also used pipe insulation with good results and when in a cheap state of mind, have used metal "butterfly" clips (the stainless ones used to hold papers together), clamped to the line as heat sinks.
ish a liddle heavy on da sap
michiganredneck
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 13
Year: 1999
Extra Info: bone stock LS Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby gastankhell » Oct 07 2010, 9:44pm

i have a 2004 gmc sierra which also developed "vapor lock" symptoms . everytime i go to put gas in the tank it just comes back out the filler tube .i have checked all the lines they are good ......any ideas???
gastankhell
Year: 2004
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby farside1 » Oct 25 2010, 3:58pm

Another suggestion is to NOT use any gas with ethanol in it. I was told that would cause vapor lock in my boat engine.
farside1
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 37
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Engine