Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Won't start

819 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hippyspec 
#1 ·
1993 5.7 Silverado, 2WD, 200k mi. Started by once in a while not starting when the key was turned, clicks and lights come on but would not not start. Could rock the key back to acc a couple of times and it would eventually click through and start. Now it acts the same but just won't start at all.

Battery is good. Starter is good. It won't start in neutral, so I don't *think* it's the neutral safety switch. What should I try next? Go on and replace the ignition switch? Any ideas?

#2 ·
Test for the ignition.. Replacing without testing is a waste of money. I don't know the specifics, but there has to be a way test it. If it's ok, look to make sure the engine is getting fuel.

#3 ·
It runs just fine when it isn't being cranky about starting. Turn the key and it fires right up. It's just got this thing where once in a while it does nothing but click. Might be a short somewhere, I dunno.

Update.

Battery is good. Starter is good. I replaced the neutral safety switch. Also replaced the ignition lock as it was worn. Cleaned the grounds.

No joy. Turn the key, click, dash lights come on. Nothing else happens.

In looking at parts I see an ignition switch, which is also a cheap part, $15 or so. I might try that, but that's the end of throwing parts at it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as I'm getting close to paying a mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.