jQuery not supported.

2014 sierra exhaust for lifted truck

Magnafloe options

2014 sierra exhaust for lifted truck

Postby Clayboy_123 [OP] » Aug 25 2013, 3:57am

Dealer can install magnaflow cat back bolt on kit fragnaflow with dual tips exiting out the back

Local muffler shop can put any magnaflow muffler on that I want and then weld pipes and tips together for a more custom job

Is there any benefit to the kit vs the local shop?

I am lolling for a noticeable sound since this is lifted truck but don't want something so loud you can't talk inside cabin

Any suggestions?
Original Poster
Clayboy_123
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 6 inch lift
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2014 sierra exhaust for lifted truck

Postby xMOWERYx » Aug 30 2013, 5:54am

A kit is best if you think you might not like it. You can easily take it off. Custom is nice and permanent. but also cleaner looking. You will run into some exhaust leaks clamp on parts. I'd rather have a custom bent piping so you don't have any fitment issues. Some kits end up being a custom exhaust with all the fab work you might have to do. Clamp on and bolt of exhaust parts will need to be checked periodically to make sure everything's good and tight. It won't really sound different either way. I have a big block single in dual out flowmaster completely welded on. Have still not found a truck that sounds like mine. It's a mix between an old muscle car and a new corvette. Not a whole lot of cab drone and not annoyingly loud. btw some bolt and clamp on kits will cause cab drone due to vibration.
xMOWERYx
2009 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab SLE Z71
5.3L With HP Custom Tune
Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
K&N CAI
Rough Country Leveling Kit
Westin Brush Guard
xMOWERYx
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 Ext. Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BlackZ03 » Aug 30 2013, 12:46pm

I just wend with the magnaflow muffler single in dual out 2 1/2 inch with turn downs. My truck is lifted and I think it sounds perfect its not to loud and definitely not bad for cab noise. Plus it only cost about 120 bucks
BlackZ03
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 36
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby KBacon » Aug 30 2013, 1:05pm

It used to be that stock exhausts were press bent... and necked down at every bend.. so your 2.5" exhaust pipe might neck down to 1.75".. with a restrictive stock muffler... so installing a full 2.5" or 3" mqndrel bent (same diameter throughout) exhaust would really free up the exhaust giving a nice performance increase...

These trucks today have 2.75" mandrel bent exhausts from the factory... so not much to be gained there.. the muffler is still pretty restrictive to meet emissions & sound standards... so cutting it out & replacing it with a performance muffler will provide the performance & sound you are looking fkr... price difference of $500+ fulk exhaust... vs. $100ish for replacement muffler + $30-100 for tip of your choice...

Having the stock exhaust cut off & a "custom" one bent up (press bent) will be going in the wrong direction... most often replacing the 2.75" mandrel bent piping with 2.5" press bent piping... as most exhaust shops don't have machines capable to press anything bigger than 2.5"... and mandrel benders are much more expensive & complicated to operate!!!

But many "custom" bent exhausts are adding a muffler with 3" inlet & dual 2.5" outlets... so this negates some of the above noted with single outlets...
KBacon
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Silverbirch ECSB Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exhaust