Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

4.8L Exhaust?

37K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  dtwowhtwow 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 04 sierra with the 4.8 and want to put a muffler on it that sounds good and is throaty/halfway loud. I dont want to do dual exhaust cause I realized with my last truck that for the price, it adds no resale value. Im looking to either just replace the muffler and keep the tailpipe, or dump it out before the rear axle. My previous truck was a 00 Ram with the 5.9 gas and I had a super 44 single in/dual out and I really liked that sound, but I dont know how different it would sound on a 4.8

Any recommendations?

#2 ·
I'm not aware of any exhaust adding retail value to a truck. A good place to start id looking through the other threads on this topic. I've had a good experience with Gibson. Others will swear by Magnaflow, Borla, etc. You biggest problem will be too many choices. Good luck!

#5 ·
Just yesterday I installed flowmaster super 44 duals. single in dual out and it sounds amazing. I also have a 4.8 but it is loud man. the only thing i had trouble with was finding places to put the hangers but you'll figure it out. my pipes are 2.25 inch my tips i believe are 3". I highly recommend that set up. Very deep.

#6 ·
I also installed the flowmaster duals and it sounds great. Next mod with be Headers.

#8 ·
Hey guy's, I have a 2007 Silverado classic with the 4.8L with the 3 inch magnaflow cat back system. The moment you said you wanted a throaty, deep, but suttle rumble it reminded me of my truck. I also have the k&n f.I.p.k. which assists with making the sound deeper. Although I'm a big fan of flowmasters, I'd rather hear that loud, beefy sound on a hot rod. For newer trucks like ours, I appreciate the low, throaty rumble that the magnaflow offers. Size of tubing also makes a huge difference. Choose wisely.

#11 ·
New here so.... I have an 02 LS 4.8L with the 2 cats into a single pipe/muffler. all the pre-fab cat back systems I've seen are for a single cat. Since I have 2 cats, is there a system for that or do I have to have custom cutting/welding pipes behind the cats and 02 sensor to be able to have true dual cat back pipes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.