jQuery not supported.

Broken Manifold Bolt

Broken Manifold Bolt

Postby UCM [OP] » Sep 20 2013, 3:22am

Well, low and behold, the 99 has broken the driver's side rear manifold bolt. :x Not lookin forward to how many more bolts will snap and require extraction. Already have a set of JBA stainless shorties on the way. I've researched shorties vs long tubes ad nauseum and know what I will and won't get, so please no flaming on that decision they're already on the way. What I'm lookin for is any thoughts on what to do about hardware. I've read that GM updated the bolts with a larger head, and maybe softened em a bit to resist snapping from the different expansion rates of steel vs aluminum. Should I go with the updated GM bolts, stage 8 locking bolts, go with some ARP studs? What have you guys done when replacing the manifolds on these trucks. Thanks in advance guys and gals. Love this site and appreciate any input.
Original Poster
UCM
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 0
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Broken Exhaust Manifold bolts   Broken exhaust manifold bolts   Help removing broken manifold bolts   Snapped exhaust manifold bolt...   Exhaust Manifold Bolts Broken Repair   HELP - broken bolt on thermostat housing   Dollar Truck, Broken Pan Bolt :(   Broken bolt, Exhaust gasket replacement   Intake manifold   Exhaust manifold trouble   exhaust manifold bolts   LS1 Intake Manifold & TB   Intake manifold gasket 99-07   Oil on intake manifold 
Exhaust Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Broken Manifold Bolt

Postby Toasted_311 » Sep 20 2013, 4:10am

Facing the same issue on my 05. Debating the headers still and if I want to even unbolt the still fine passenger side.
Can you see any of the bolt remaining in the manifold hole? Dread extracting this one.
I've done so much with so little for so long, that I can do anything with nothing
Toasted_311
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4.8 SLE Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Sep 20 2013, 4:46am

Heat it with a torch.... weld a nut to the stub amd back it on out! Might try some pb blaster or something too. Soak them down before trying the rest.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • OEM Style Electric Fans
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby racer811 » Sep 20 2013, 5:43am

I just did mine today. '05 silverado 5.3 front and rear studs on the drivers side broken. First I PB Blasted the manifold to y-pipe bolts,waited about 10 min. (dis-connected the battery) then heated them till they started to get red. 1/2 inch impact for the accessable two, breaker bar with jointed extention for the PITA one(removed upstream O2 sensor for access) once those were off, i pulled off the spark plug wires(broke one :x ) removed the steering shaft bolt and let it lay on the frame. Loosened the unbroken bolts pretty easily with a ratchet and removed with air ratchet. Removed manifold from the engine comp. to workbench. pulled out the heat shield bolts and cleaned up the mounting surface.

Now for the broken studs.... I was lucky cause only the head was broke off, which left a little less than 1/2in of bolt sticking out from the head. Got a good set of vise-grips, and clamped them on as hard as i could. The front one came out very easy, the rear was a little more stubborn. then cleaned the head with mesh sand paper.

Put new manifold to y-pipe gasket on and set the manifold back in place. put on new manifold gasket on and lined up two starter bolts (m8-1,25x30mm). Put anit-sieze on and hand started all the bolts. tightened them all down, then under the truck i went.... once everything was tightened up, i put the heat shield back on with new bolts (m6-1,0x10mm) and over-sized washers. Replaced all the spark plug wires with new ones(AC Delco), reconnected the steering and battery. Started her up and she purred :D . Check engine light was out and I'm a happy guy. took about two hours plus clean up time.

I got Fel-pro gaskets and the metric bolts from Advance Auto.

Passengers side tomorrow.... ;)

First in, Last out
racer811
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby UCM [OP] » Sep 20 2013, 7:49am

Decided on doin the headers because I plan on keepin the truck until it rots out from under me and I have a couple of bucks to throw at headers. My thinkin has always been, if I am going to replace something, why not replace it with something better if the budget allows. Exhaust is already leaking and eventually more bolt heads are gonna snap. I'd rather take a chance now while the rest appear to be intact rather than when I know I have nothin but pieces to be fishing out of bolt holes. Hopefully I'm not opening a can of worms here.
Original Poster
UCM
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby UCM [OP] » Sep 20 2013, 8:01am

I've got about a gallon of PB Blaster sittin in the garage right now. Plan on soaking the manifold bolts nightly for about a week before attempting anything. Might smoke a lil in the morning for a few minutes after she gets started up :mrgreen: but I think it should be worth it. I'm thinkin takin a torch to the aluminum heads might not be the best of ideas. :shock: Haven't looked in the hole yet to see if the bolt broke flush with the manifold or the head. I'll have to check in the mornin after work.
Original Poster
UCM
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby UCM [OP] » Sep 20 2013, 8:08am

Racer, thanks for the step by step. Much appreciated. What bolts did you use to remount the manifold? GM or aftermarket?
Original Poster
UCM
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby UCM [OP] » Sep 20 2013, 3:55pm

Wow, scratch my last post. Just reread Racer's post and saw bolts from Advance.
Original Poster
UCM
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby racer811 » Sep 21 2013, 4:25pm

Update : did the passengers side yesterday, almost same as drivers side, except all the manifold to y-pipe bolts are accessible without removing the O2 sensor. The oil dipstick tube runs thru the manifold and needs to be removed.

Dipstick tube broke trying to remove it :eek::-x . Got it out by removing the starter and heating around it. No one had it in stock, so I cut off the jagged ends and used a 3/8 compression coupling as a temporary fix. Truck is all back together and running quiet :grin:

Also note that the y-pipe connection gaskets are different, drivers side has a round crush washer and the passenger side has a donut gasket.

I looked at my wife's 08 Tahoe and it appears that the process would be the same on the newer trucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

First in, Last out
racer811
Topics: 6
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby UCM [OP] » Sep 21 2013, 5:12pm

Fantastic Sir! Will definitely keep a close eye on the dipstick tube when it comes time.
Original Poster
UCM
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next