jQuery not supported.

code P0430

catalytic catalyst

code P0430

Postby blackout [OP] » Jul 31 2010, 11:37pm

i have 97 silverado 5.7 with 122000 mi on it. obd is throwing code p0430. wich points to the catalytic converters. it is california equipped though i live in utah and am not required to pass a smog test. the o2 sensors are all brand new. at this point i am thinking replace the cats.(any thoughts?) should this turn out to be the right direction to head there is a fork in the road with it being "california equipped". the local chevy dealer informed me that california and 49state models both listed the same part number. i am definitely looking aftermarket as dealer prices are sick! however most cats that i have shopped for claim the "49 state" only should not be used other wise. so now finally to the question or questions:

will a 49 state cat work on a "california equipped" model with out throwing a code?

are all stock chevy oem cats 50 state legal?
Original Poster
blackout
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1997
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.7l V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  P0430 Code :( Help?   P0121 and P0430   Code Scanner   P1133 Code   Trouble code help   finding ap code   Code P1415   Paint code help!   Code P2457   PO452 CODE HELP !!!   P1516 code   P0641 code   code p1400   paint code help 
Exhaust Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: code P0430

Postby blackout [OP] » Aug 19 2010, 2:40am

i have done a bit of research and will lay out what i have come up with so far and maybe at some point this thread will become useful.

contacted magnaflow:
told that OBDII would know the difference as the efficiency is greater on the california cat

contacted eastern catalytic:
told that OBDII would know the difference as the efficiency is greater on the california cat

contacted a few a on-line vendors(only received one responce):

here is what they said
" There are differences in materials used in catalytic converters for new cars. If you compared the catalytic converters on a 2010 model year California, and 49 State vehicle you would see a difference. The California catalytic converters use, very rare, expensive, and highly efficient materials. The Federal (49 state) emission requirements aren't as strict as the California requirements. Being that it's easier to meet Federal restrictions, when a company makes a catalytic converter for a Federal vehicle, they are able to use cheaper more readily available materials. On new vehicles the California catalytic converters are more efficient than the ones used on Federal vehicles.

In 1997 the catalytic converter technology wasn't as advanced as it is today. In 1997 the same catalytic converter was used in both the California and Federal vehicles.

For your application you can run either a Federal or California converter. I have really good deals on catalytic converters, and I can place an order for you if you would like."

i would love to hear some opinions
cheers
Original Poster
blackout
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vogelm1 » Aug 19 2010, 3:20am

Mine was throwing the same codes several months back and was thinking of replacing the cats as well...I'd reset the SES and it'd be fine for a few days to a week, then throw the code again. It's a '96 Yukon with 230,000 miles on it by the way. Coincidentally the intake gasket went during this time, so I replaced and all issues went away. I must have been getting coolant or some oil in the combustion chamber and that was enough to mess up the O2 sensor readings. Just a thought, and may not be what's going on with yours. :?:
vogelm1
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby blackout [OP] » Aug 20 2010, 11:48pm

thanks for postin' up. i have heard "intake manifold gasket" as a possibility. how did you determine the intake gasket was going away?
Original Poster
blackout
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vogelm1 » Aug 21 2010, 8:11am

I was losing quite a bit of coolant over a period of a few weeks, but no noticeable drips or puddles in the garage (like a hose leaking, etc). Then one day I checked the oil and noticed oil level a little past full on the dipstick. My neighbor is a mechanic and he said on that motor it was highly unlikely to be a head gasket, and recommended checking the intake gasket for starters. For a set of new gaskets ($35) it was worth a shot, other than a day of my time tearing the top of the motor off lol. But... it runs better than it ever did now.
vogelm1
Topics: 3
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exhaust