Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Dumped exhaust vs single exhaust tip

12K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Big blue 65 
#1 ·
Getting racing Magnaflowuffler put on next week
It's a 3 inch in 3 inch out, however I already have dual exhaust with 3 inch and 2.5 out. So assuming I can't plug into existing setup, what would be better for sound? Dumped or single 3 inch out pipe leading to a 5 inch exhaust tip?

#3 ·
Yes "dumping" means cutting the tailpipe off short and dumping the exhaust out earlier than it normally is when running it to the back or side of the truck. 32 dump is cutting off the tailpipe 32" shorter or I've also heard that term after a crazy night involving Milwaukee's Best and Taco Bell.

#4 ·
SierraHarley said:
Yes "dumping" means cutting the tailpipe off short and dumping the exhaust out earlier than it normally is when running it to the back or side of the truck. 32 dump is cutting off the tailpipe 32" shorter or I've also heard that term after a crazy night involving Milwaukee's Best and Taco Bell.
Ugh the Beast...... who in their right or wrong mind mixes that with Taco Bell??

Thanks for the info on exhaust dumping. I never knew there was a name for it.

#13 ·
I have a single 3in/3in magna flow muffler dumped right before the rear axle, nice rumble at idle, no drone, and no tailpipe to bend or break when off roading. I'm a very big fan of the sounds of dumped exhausts. If you've ever enjoyed the sound of your truck while idling next to a wall or in a tunnel, its like that but all the time!

#14 ·
I have a dual out flowmaster 40 series dumped right before the rear axle, and I love it! Sounds even better being lowered 2 inches! I was originally going to go with dual exits but after the exhaust shop chopped it off they called and said they didn't have the right pipe to finish it, so I went with dumps and I am very happy with it

#16 ·
I have a single 40 series Flowmaster dumped about 5 inches before the rear axle. My truck is lowered 4 inches in the rear and the sound is awesome. Very deep rumble at idle and at cruising speed. Head turner, especially leaving from a dead stop and the pedal is to the floor!

#17 ·
I also have a habit of leaving it in tow mode going through town :mrgreen:

#18 ·
JoshInWV said:
SierraHarley said:
Ugh the Beast...... who in their right or wrong mind mixes that with Taco Bell??

Thanks for the info on exhaust dumping. I never knew there was a name for it.
I have been known to do that, but only when staying the weekend with the in-laws. I love destroying their 1 bathroom house. :twisted:

#21 ·
I'm just a OLD GUY, so don't personally want my exhaust to be TOO loud... but I still enjoy a nice mellow and deep-throated rumble. I'm getting that from my 2014 2500 HD 6.0 L using a 3 1/2 in/out Magnaflow 50HD, which is turned down with a nice tip at the back of the truck. As for the "Dumping" off under the truck... I would think that it would increase the noise inside the cab, and could allow exhaust gasses to get into the cab. Maybe not, just the view from my saddle.

Snakebite

#23 ·
Mine's dumped after the rear axle, but I honestly didn't notice any difference in sound after the tail pipe was cut off.
I did it because I like the clean look

#25 ·
Dump it! Went with a magnaflow 14 and it sounds great. Deep sound when you punch it but quiet at cruising speeds. Gets louder as it ages. No drone in the cab (had drone problems with flowmaster 40 series in the past) Couldn't be happier.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.