Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Have factory high flow air filter, should I get a CAI

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Z71 All Terrain 
#1 ·
just wondering if I'll see much performance gain if I swap a factory high flow filter with an after market cold air intake. if its minimal I may not waste the money but curious to know one way or another. Have an 09 Silverado 5.3

#4 ·
I recommend the AirAid JR kit. This will replace the restrictive stock intake tube with all those baffles with a smooth flowing solid tube. This kit is relatively inexpensive and will make a difference. This kit is pretty popular here on the forum and I am sure others with chime in with their experience. Here is an image of the product, let me know if you would like a quote on the tube or tube with drop in filter.

#5 ·
Go with the AirRaid as AJ stated. I'm running a K&N drop in filter and AirRaid MIT. As for exhaust sound you are correct more air in, more air out so you will get better sound.

#7 ·
I would leave it stock. I have the Airaid Jr. kit and filter on my truck. There is no noticeable difference in performance, but there is a slight sound increase. My big problem with the Jr. kit is that it has slipped off the throttle body several times. it seems that the tube and connector are just a bit short, and over time/bumps the rubber coupling slips off the throttle body and causes a check engine light. More of a hassle than its worth honestly. Save your money.

-Eric

#8 ·
right now I don't have a big budget for many mods so I was just looking at basic mods and knew I had this "high capacity" air filter from the factory. I do like a good sounding truck. checking to see if this alone for starters is even worth it or if I should wait until I know I'm gonna do some more mods. have about 53k miles on it now.

#10 ·
Vortec6200 said:
I would leave it stock. I have the Airaid Jr. kit and filter on my truck. There is no noticeable difference in performance, but there is a slight sound increase. My big problem with the Jr. kit is that it has slipped off the throttle body several times. it seems that the tube and connector are just a bit short, and over time/bumps the rubber coupling slips off the throttle body and causes a check engine light. More of a hassle than its worth honestly. Save your money.

-Eric
Eric I kind of agree with you because mine has slipped off a bunch of times too. It's just to short and I've called AirRaid and they refuse to send me a bigger coupler they just tell me to clean the coupler with alcohol and reinstall. Even when it doesn't fall off I feel there is a slight leak around the throttle body due to a constant gap at the bottom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.