Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

my muffler delete

15K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  bluedevil244 
#1 ·
I just got my truck back yesterday from a local shop. I had him take out my stock muffler and replace it with a 3" pipe which he bent to imitate the muffler in and out. I love it, it has a nice throaty sound not obnoxious loud and not much if any drone in the cab at cruising speeds.

#4 ·
If I can figure out how hot do it from my phone I'll try to this weekend. Cause I'd like to hear your guys opinion cause I have a 95 Silverado 5.0 long tube headers no cat and thrush 2 chamber with single out and I think my 08 sound a lot better. I'll try and post a video of both if I can

#13 ·
I did actually notice about 2 mpg difference in town I get about 15 haven't been on any long trips yet. The shop I got it done sells diablo intunes for 360 new so I'm gonna save and get one. I really want a trinity but its a lot of $. I also want to find an air aid Jr kit to. Hopefully with that I can get some decant power and a few mpg's.

#14 ·
She sounds real good...stupid question, when your guy "bent" it to imitate the can in and out, how exactly did he do it? Also what is your pre-mod diameter? I'd be 2 1/4 up to there...definitely wanna try it though.

#17 ·
He used a 2 3/4 pipe and expanded the ends to slip over the stock pipe. It looked like if u took the letter z and grabbed each end and stretched it out I'll post a pic if I get done work and there's still light. And it sounds good when cruising at hyway speed its not every loud inside. I don't know maybe cause its a crew cab or if the slight bends in the pipe cut the drone out but it realy isn't bad in the cab

#19 ·
It doestnt snap or pop or crackle when Ur driving even at wot. Obviously its gonna do it when u sit and rev it up cause there's no load on it nor is the tranny keeping the rpm from falling off that quick. But when u sit there and rev it even a stock system will snap cause your dumping a bunch of fuel in and then all of sudden it thinks it wants to idle and theres still unburnt fuel there that is gonna ignight

#20 ·
brandsa2001 said:
It doestnt snap or pop or crackle when Ur driving even at wot. Obviously its gonna do it when u sit and rev it up cause there's no load on it nor is the tranny keeping the rpm from falling off that quick. But when u sit there and rev it even a stock system will snap cause your dumping a bunch of fuel in and then all of sudden it thinks it wants to idle and theres still unburnt fuel there that is gonna ignight
Even when you go WOT and then let off the throttle? I would bet money it crackles and pops like crazy. If you like that sound more power to you, not my truck so my opinion really doesn't affect anything LOL.

And no a stock system will not crackle and pop like straight pipe will.

Example. Stock exhaust with the resonator behind the muffler removed.

#21 ·
Agree to disagree. A straight pipe is going to be a lot different. I like how it sounds. I would like to hear a magna flow in person cause videos sound different. I would lime to put one on eventually just for the legal part of it since mine not technically legal. Even though every Harley and quite a few trucks with dual exhaust around here are a lot louder than my truck. But they have mufflers and I don't. But I wanna focus on getting a cai and a intune with a custom tune first.

#22 ·
brandsa2001 said:
Agree to disagree. A straight pipe is going to be a lot different. I like how it sounds. I would like to hear a magna flow in person cause videos sound different. I would lime to put one on eventually just for the legal part of it since mine not technically legal. Even though every Harley and quite a few trucks with dual exhaust around here are a lot louder than my truck. But they have mufflers and I don't. But I wanna focus on getting a cai and a intune with a custom tune first.
:)
I know a straight pipe will be different, you mentioned a stock system would crackle and pop when revved. I was showing that's not the case.

Ya I have been pulled over for my exhaust systems in the past but luckily always got warnings. I made the same statement you did about the Harley's and how stupid loud they are. The way the cop described it to me is that anything that is not OEM is illegal. So even though the Harley is stupid loud it came that way so it's legal. I got a warning and the cop was really nice about it but I found that law slightly odd.

Look into a Borla XR-1 muffler if you ever decide to pick one up. Will sound amazing and still be loud

#24 ·
I just did this to my truck, I will never have a muffler again. The sound it makes is what a truck should sound like. I get a some drone around 1700rpm, but not bad. My garage took the muffler out and replaced it with a 3" piece and put a 3" stainless tip on it, I have no popping or cracking, just a deep growl. My wife even likes it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.