jQuery not supported.

PO449 code Solenoid location

Where the heck is my solenoid?

PO449 code Solenoid location

Postby keithwins [OP] » Apr 09 2013, 5:15am

I've got a PO449 code, which suggests I should look at my Evap Vent Solenoid. I have seen pictures of it mounted on the gas tank (nope), and heard tell of it mounted on a cross-member below the bed (perhaps the plate that the spare tire winch is attached to), but I don't see anything like it anywhere under there. There are no unaccounted for fuel lines anywhere near the tank: the canister associated with the fuel evap system is located just in front of the tank. But I just can't figure where the solenoid is (I sorta think there are two solenoids?).

If anyone can tell me where the two fuel lines to/from the evap vent solenoid go, I should be able to track it down myself, though I've looked around quite a bit (though not under the hood: I though I'd understood it was under the truck). Any further thoughts on troubleshooting this code will be appreciated.

2003 Sierra 5.3L
2003 Sierra 1500 5.3L Auto Reg Cab w/Cap & Rack
Original Poster
keithwins
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 300k mi
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Turbo solenoid??? Help   Bad Solenoid?   Starter solenoid   anyone tell me why theres a ford solenoid on my 1998 sierra?   Ignition wire or fuse for solenoid   I was told I need a new vent control solenoid   Starter / Solenoid Issue for 1999 Z71 5.3L   rodcheapo and other 214-2149 evap solenoid users   Code P0141 Bank 1 Sensor 2 o2 sensor throwing code   Relay Location   Z71 Decal location   Door switch location ?   Mic Mounting Location OGM1   factory XM tuner/antenna location 
Exhaust Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: PO449 code Solenoid location

Postby popupjunky » Apr 09 2013, 8:41am

The evap tank is mounted in front of the gas tank, and the solenoid is above the tank. Pm me your email and I will send you a diagram off all data. Check your tank and lines aren't cracked. Have the same issue with mine, but I just had the codes blocked with efi live done by Black bear tuning.
popupjunky
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Extra Info: 4x4 5.3 + Blackbear
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby keithwins [OP] » Apr 09 2013, 3:23pm

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I continued my online search, and I found the diagram. I was looking for the round solenoid everyone kept describing, but mine is a smallish rectangular box attached to the frame above the vent canister, above the fuel tank, right between the cab and the bed (you have to reach between them to undo the bolt). They tend to call it the Vent Valve instead of solenoid, but I think it's functionally identical to the round one. I saw it up there, but it wasn't until I found the diagram that I was certain. Thank you for confirming that. I'm going to try to take it off today, and see if I can assure that it functions (after all, it's just a solenoid, I ought to be able to confirm that it's snapping open and shut) and also check everything for leaks. I might do the same on the purge solenoid that's located on/in the canister, if I don't find anything, and I'll check under the hood for whatever surprises await. I haven't looked into this code blocking thing, that seems like it would be my last choice, but there aren't that many options before it!
Original Poster
keithwins
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby keithwins [OP] » Apr 11 2013, 7:55pm

So I finished this project, here's a quick summary:

I pulled the evap canister purge solenoid, on the manifold on top of the engine, and ran leads to the battery: I could here it clicking open and shut, so I assumed it was probably still good. There is a rubber o-ring on it that seals it into the manifold that was fine, and a rubber seal (called an "insulator" by the dealer) that was not, and can only be obtained with a new solenoid, so I made a new one out of RTV (silicone caulk, basically) so I could continue troubleshooting. I applied the RTV to the solenoid and let it dry, so it wouldn't glue the solenoid to the manifold.

I then removed the Evap canister vent solenoid. It's much harder to get to, I found I couldn't get the hose off so I had to remove one of the clamps on the other end of the hose so (after disconnecting the bracket from the frame, and the solenoid from the bracket) I could slide the solenoid/hose connection out enough to get to it and pop it off. Anyway, when I jumped that solenoid to the battery, no clicks, so I assumed it was dead. I bought a new one at the dealer ($40), and although it sorta looked like they'd put a used one back in a box, I tested it against the battery and it worked. I hooked it all back up, cleared my codes, and so far I'm good to go (I've one run it a few minutes so far, but before the code would regenerate essentially instantaneously).

I applied a little grease to the hose connection to keep it easy to remove next time, and a little dielectric grease to the electrical connections. I might replace the front solenoid at some point, since I built my RTV gasket a little too thick and it doesn't quite sit flat, but it seems to seal fine, so I'm trying to ignore it.
Original Poster
keithwins
Group Membership: