jQuery not supported.

Excessive water puddling from exhaust muffler

Swimming pool from muffler

Excessive water puddling from exhaust muffler

Postby jose.martinez17 [OP] » Jan 28 2011, 7:13pm

Has anyone experienced a puddle of water coming out of their muffler? Condensation is mist, moisture, water drips...I'm talking a puddle under my muffler dripping a drop every 2 seconds. Dealer says that's normal, but i think that's not "Normal"; that's excessive. Feedback?
Original Poster
jose.martinez17
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8liter crew cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Excessive water puddling from exhaust muffler

Postby Hartski » Jan 28 2011, 7:26pm

It's normal.
in omnia paratus
Hartski
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bsa_bob » Jan 28 2011, 7:29pm

jose.martinez17 wrote:Has anyone experienced a puddle of water coming out of their muffler? Condensation is mist, moisture, water drips...I'm talking a puddle under my muffler dripping a drop every 2 seconds. Dealer says that's normal, but i think that's not "Normal"; that's excessive. Feedback?

Must be normal!! mine has dual exhausts.....it drips water on "warmer" days and if it sets there long,they get as big around as steel coffee can lid or bigger.Drips steady til it moves. Never had a problem, and it don't show up in the oil.
bsa_bob
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 Classic
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LBZDMAX » Jan 28 2011, 8:12pm

Normal.
GW
2007 Duramax CCSB LBZ 4WD - SOLD
07.5 Duramax CCSB LMM 4WD

LBZDMAX
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Extra Info: LBZ CCSB 4WD 2500HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jan 28 2011, 9:36pm

Hope it's normal. Mine does it.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby jepics » Jan 29 2011, 4:02am

Condensation is normal. Ever watch someone pull out on a highway and see a cloud of water vapor come out of their exhaust pipe? When faced with sudden acceleration, the water vaporizes and comes out as mist.

If you are warming up your vehicle while it sits in the driveway, the water droplets will get pushed out the exhaust pipe and form a puddle. If the relative humidity is high, more will be produced than if the atmosphere is dry.

Maybe it's all that water-absorbing gas they produce today that is making it seem more severe!
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Topics: 51
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jan 29 2011, 2:45pm

John, I think you are on to something. I don't want to highjack the thread, but I suppose it's possible that the higher ethanol fuels may contribute to this. Interesting thought.
Anyway, I am sometimes surprised by the amount of water than can come out of the muffler. I still think it's normal.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby bsa_bob » Jan 29 2011, 3:40pm

Another factor to consider here;When this water is dripping out of the tailpipe...If you can run the engine till this stops,other wise if you put it back in the garage , leave it out , whatever. Tis is when the exhauxt system starts to rust out.I run my 50 merc my 49 convert, and my 32 coupe, all chevy powered . during the winter months.
Its just good to do this, and before i shut any of them off, i put a paper towl up the tailpipe.....no moisture.no rust can form.
jmo bob s
bsa_bob
Topics: 9
Extra Info: 1500 Classic
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jan 29 2011, 3:49pm

I don't worry about the rust. As long as you get the truck out and run it to full operating temp frequently, you won't have an issue. My truck goes about 22 miles each way to work. The exhaust gets fully heated, and the moisture is driven out of it. For comparison, my daughter drives 1.5 miles to school each day. She will definitely go through a muffler or 2 on her car. I encorage her to get out and run it once in a while, but she doesn't.
I don't think I would ever put a paper towel in my exhaust. I am not sure there is a benefit, and I'd be afraid I'd leave it in there the next time I went somewhere.
EKinMN
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Jan 29 2011, 4:25pm

you also have to look at it like this..on the cold days with the temp of the exhaust vs ambient air temp..it will usually cause some type of condensation
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Topics: 91
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Exhaust