Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

07-13 Rust issues? Any out of control rust pics out there?

36K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Digger 66 
#1 ·
I live in the rust belt and yesterday I saw a 2007-2013 Silverado Ext Z71 with rust. Guessing it was an 07. This can't be normal??? Not just bubbles but holes over the wheel wells. I'm just curious if other newer Silverado owners are experiencing anything similar. Will Chevy ever get this under control? In Illinois people junk their perfectly fine running Silverados because the drive train outlasts the frame. Anyone out there have any pics of trucks so rusty it's amazing that they still drive?

#2 ·
i live in PA.. so i knew before i bought my truck i was going to have the whole thing rust proofed. Made the appointment before i had picked up the truck. Why everyone would not do this if you live where they use salt and that liquid shit on icy roads is beyond me.

#4 ·
I don't know about you guys, but when I saw my first 99 Silverado all rusted out in 03ish I was shocked! Now rusty rockers and beds on them is the norm. I was hoping that the newer body style would be better. I was hopeful because of the doors covering the rocker. I am not happy that they brought the exposed rockers back on the 14. I see that being a potential issue.

#6 ·
Bucko77 said:
Haven't seen rust issues here, and there is a LOT of salt on the roads for 6 months of the year here. Krown rustproofed within a week of getting my truck. Still concerned about wheel wells... Thinking of getting fender flares.
Had both mine and my wife's trucks Krown rustproofed within thr first 100 miles on them.

I swear by that stuff!

#7 ·
Living in southwest Ontario, salt is a major issue and I've been using Krown for 15 years. None of my vehicles have had more rust then the day I got them with that product. That said I have friends that don't use any rust protection and it shows. A friends '06 Sierra is rusting around the wheel wells, but it's no where near as bad as his GF's '11 Mazda 3, Mazda's are horrible for rust...

#8 ·
I live in moist, salty upstate NY. I have seen a couple of abused shop truck '07's with surface rust due to stone blasting on the lower fenders, door, and bedsides, but no holes. I can remember the 1988 GMT400's with severe cab corner and wheel arch rot as early as 1992 here. The 1999's were rockerless as early as 2003 here. Now it is rare to see a GMT800 without any rust here. They seemed to be rustbuckets.

#9 ·
Daly said:
Living in southwest Ontario, salt is a major issue and I've been using Krown for 15 years. None of my vehicles have had more rust then the day I got them with that product. That said I have friends that don't use any rust protection and it shows. A friends '06 Sierra is rusting around the wheel wells, but it's no where near as bad as his GF's '11 Mazda 3, Mazda's are horrible for rust...
Funny you mention it. Every Mazda 3 around here has the same rust spots after 5 years.

Krown is the only way to go!!

#12 ·
The axle housings were either never painted, or had a very light coating of cheap black paint on them, as my '13 had. I would sand blast, ot at least hand sand the housing, and brush on Rustoleum rusty metal primer, and top coat with their gloss or semi gloss black enamel paint. If you wash your truck well, you shouldn't have to worry about it rusting that bad again for a long time.

#13 ·
por15 your rear end, that said if it is steel eventually it will rust. Every spring I do the high pressure touchless car washes with underbody flushes about 6 times in two weeks, after that all the nooks and crannies and insides of the doors have been flushed of any residual salt and crude. Cheap in the long run.

#14 ·
The inside of my rear bumper has rust. It hasn't made its way through anywhere yet. No other noticeable rust on the body anywhere. The truck was a New Mexico truck and has only spent the last year and a half in the salty Midwest. When I bought the truck the dealer offered to rust proof it for like 2 grand. Seemed like a lot so I said no, but has anyone done rust proofing through a dealer when they bought their truck? My next truck will not be used so I would like to know if its a good investment to have the dealer do it or is it better to go to a body shop that specializes in that sort of thing?

#15 ·
About 1 year ago I test drove a 2011 year model with about 31k miles that looked on the frame just like some of the above pictures...needless to say it scared me away. I think the car fax report said Indiana was where it's one previous owner was before it made it's way to Texas.

#20 ·
DeLeon2009 said:
Thanks for the Por-15 idea. I'll be doing that just as soon as I possibly can.
I've used POR15 many times. Absolutely do not get any on your skin. Use a respirator, the fumes will make you very ill. Right over light surface rust is fine. But the better you can prep the surface, the better it will turn out. You can top coat it when it's about 1/2 way dry, otherwise any paint will not bond and just flake off if applied after the POR15 is dry. Awesome stuff, dries very solid. I got a droplet on the threads of a bolt laying around- dried hard as a rock and had to grind it off.

#21 ·
ckrieg88 said:
Starting to get some on my 07 on the wheel well passenger side rear thinking of doing flares or just getting a whole new bed if it gets worse.
Just did a search because rust on my truck had been a concern after seeing some local company trucks :shock: . They're all 3/4 tons but look to be Damn close to rusting through the bed sides above the rear wheels. All are nnbs and probably get worked pretty hard but regardless I don't want mine rusting out like the nbs. One thought I've had is adding drain holes to the back side of the quarter panel in the wheel wells. However I'm sure it will be easier for mud and dirt to collect in these holes after..... :cry:

#23 ·
Ontario here as well! and paint peels easy on these little jewels! I sanded and Por-15'd the bottom lip off rear wheel wells...all good now but still might add flares and wheel liners as well.

Bucko77 said:
Haven't seen rust issues here, and there is a LOT of salt on the roads for 6 months of the year here. Krown rustproofed within a week of getting my truck. Still concerned about wheel wells... Thinking of getting fender flares.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.