jQuery not supported.

A guide to plastidip

my advice for new dippers

Re: A guide to plastidip

Postby djentlemanjoe [OP] » Jun 30 2015, 6:58pm

You cannot get mud out of light colors. I know after I rattle canned my 1500 blaze blue and I went mudding it would not wash out. Plastidip holds up better than vinyl wrap in terms of mudding and offroading. Vinyl will always look better but it scratches way easily and the only way to fix it is to rewrap what got scratched. Plastidip you can touch up with spray or something. Its your call if you want to dip your whole truck but make sure you do it right and get the gallons and do all your prep work properly. Sometimes I couldn't get mud out of black dip but there must be some form of cleaner out there to remedy this.
If you want custom headlights shoot me a PM I can help you out and give you a quote.
Original Poster
djentlemanjoe
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 68
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 6.6L 2500HD
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby jbobbitt06 » Jul 22 2015, 3:49am

I have never applied plastidip until two days ago after reading this post. I followed the directions of this post exactly and had no problems doing my entire trucks accents. This is the side shot with the gas cap door that I did but I also did the rear bowtie and lettering and the front bowtie. Great write up and I honestly cant believe how well this product does. Thanks for the help
Attachments
side and gas door plastidip.jpg
Chevy Silveraydo, its got a vortec engine which means it runs off of tornadoes!
jbobbitt06
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 LT 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djentlemanjoe [OP] » Jul 22 2015, 12:42pm

Glad to hear it helped you out! Truck looks good with those accents, perfect scheme.
If you want custom headlights shoot me a PM I can help you out and give you a quote.
Original Poster
djentlemanjoe
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby jonsnow » Jul 25 2015, 4:34am

The only problem with plasti-dip is once you use it everything in sight gets plasti-dipped.:)
jonsnow
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarleySierraHarley is online! » Jul 25 2015, 4:47am

The other problem is it looks tacky.
SierraHarleySierraHarley is online!
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 10
Year: 2002
Extra Info: SLE 4x2 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby djentlemanjoe [OP] » Jul 27 2015, 1:27pm

Much as I suspected Dip doesn't get as easy to pull off as people say it is. Over the weekend I met with the owner of my 1500 which is the truck I did all my dip experiments on. He has begun the process of peeling the dip off and getting down to the pewter paint. Some areas are not so easy to get the dip off. the creases where fender flares fit into are still on there and they're on there good. The hood and the roof also have a good amount of blue on them and it is NOT easy to remove. I suspect the sun has a lot to do with this, the roof and the hood get the most sun exposure, I guarantee the sun has baked it on and made this as hard to get off as it is. Dip reformer will make short work of it but I also suspect lacquer thinner could do the job as well, a razor knife also helps a lot. The previous owner also said he used a pressure washer to get some of the dip off...this also took the clear coat off in some areas.

I'm going to say right here and now dipping an entire vehicle should only be done with gallons and a sprayer and if you want to keep this color for the rest of the time you own the vehicle (much like I did). The sun and other variables make removing dip a little too hard after a certain point in time. Always think it through before going through with it. It is possible to remove it all, don't get me wrong, but it will NOT be an easy task.
Original Poster
djentlemanjoe
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby buelldude » Aug 05 2015, 1:56am

here is my w/t with a dipped front (grill)
Attachments
IMAG1311.jpg
buelldude
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Sma11vi11e » Aug 05 2015, 4:59am

I have smoked my tail lights and they came out pretty good. They are still fairly bright. I taped off the reverse light cover. I also did the grill and it lasted pretty good though the winter and the summer, been through a lot of car washes and home washes with a brush. Thinking of doing my winter rims soon.
Sma11vi11e
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CrazyQuickDraw » Aug 07 2015, 2:37am

Thanks for the guide! I think I'm gonna plastidip my 06s grille trim rather than shell out $150 for a new one. What's the rules of plastidip when it comes to chrome? Should I just clean the chrome trim really well and then have at it?
2006 Silverado LT 4.8L 4x4
Silver Birch Metallic, Cranked Keys, 285/70R17 Toyo Open Country A/T II, 17x8 ATX Series AX185 Crawls, Straight Pipe, Airaid MIT
CrazyQuickDraw
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 4.8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jonsnow » Aug 07 2015, 3:24am

I plastidipped a chrome grille on a D***e ram and it held up well. I used duplicolor wax and greáse remover spray and put 8 coats of dip on it. Just be sure to get it super clean.
jonsnow
Year: 2013
Variant: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Exterior