jQuery not supported.

A guide to plastidip

my advice for new dippers

Re: A guide to plastidip

Postby Erebus » Dec 10 2015, 7:56pm

DLarionov wrote:Is it possible to to make plasti-dip shine or gloss. For instance, will spraying clear coat over the plasti dip give it a nice shine effect?

Plasti Dip Glossifier - http://www.amazon.com/Performix-11212-E ... B0076M8TVM

It works pretty well but it won't shine like your paint.
2015 Silverado 1500 LT - All Star Edition - Ruby Red - 5.3L - 4x4 - Blacked Out
Erebus
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Ruby Red LT 5.3l 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Dec 10 2015, 7:58pm

texasterror84 wrote:Any guides to placement of emblems and decals once they are finished and need to place back on?

Tape off and spray without removing them. The hardest part is going the Silverado emblem. You can be detailed and cut out in between the letters after spraying over, or be lazy like me just tape off the best you can around, spray over and leave it. For me, leaving it was easy because I have a black truck and any overspray in those little gaps wasn't really noticeable. I've since removed all Plastidip and emblems from my truck, except the bowtie grille, which I set to light up on switch.

DLarionov wrote:Is it possible to to make plasti-dip shine or gloss. For instance, will spraying clear coat over the plasti dip give it a nice shine effect?

Yes, you can. I did that on my old stock wheel center caps. I used 4-5 coats of dip on each cap, and then let it cure overnight, even though some say it is not required. I see the dip as paint, and with paint it should be cured unless it is a recoat of the same spray within 5-10 minutes. After it cured, I used Rustoleum Lens Tint and gave it 3 good spray-overs, and they came out pretty nice.. More shine than their glossifier spray..
2006 Silverado 1500
Corsa DB Catback
RC Keys w/ 4" Blocks
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
55w 5K HID

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 128
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby deek05 » Dec 10 2015, 8:21pm

On my 97 wrangler I dipped the grill, fenders, exterior door handles, body armor and dipped for fun a strip of about 4" thick on the bottom of the body to mimic rocker panels. It was very durable. 18 months and no marks even went thru the car wash. Easy to work with. I didn't mask off the headlights or side markers. It peeled off easy enough. Trick is to get enough coats on. Never less than 4 and as another mention, and I agree, go 8. Even with 4 you might have lighter spots making it tougher to remove.
deek05
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2004
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DLarionov » Dec 10 2015, 10:00pm

Alright, cool thanks guys
DLarionov
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 HD 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby texasterror84 » Apr 21 2016, 5:43pm

Yes, you can. I did that on my old stock wheel center caps. I used 4-5 coats of dip on each cap, and then let it cure overnight, even though some say it is not required. I see the dip as paint, and with paint it should be cured unless it is a recoat of the same spray within 5-10 minutes. After it cured, I used Rustoleum Lens Tint and gave it 3 good spray-overs, and they came out pretty nice.. More shine than their glossifier spray..
7973[/quote]

Ricka182 you have a link to the glossifer spray you use? So far my emblems are coming out gray to my eyes when I use the "plasti-dip's" brand of glossfing spray. Sorry pics aren't great it wont stop raining here in Texas.
Attachments
LTZ.jpg
Silverado.jpg
Z71.jpg
Z71Black.jpg
texasterror84
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 35
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: Midnight Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Erebus » Apr 21 2016, 5:46pm

texasterror84 wrote:Yes, you can. I did that on my old stock wheel center caps. I used 4-5 coats of dip on each cap, and then let it cure overnight, even though some say it is not required. I see the dip as paint, and with paint it should be cured unless it is a recoat of the same spray within 5-10 minutes. After it cured, I used Rustoleum Lens Tint and gave it 3 good spray-overs, and they came out pretty nice.. More shine than their glossifier spray..

Ricka182 you have a link to the glossifer spray you use? So far my emblems are coming out gray to my eyes when I use the "plasti-dip's" brand of glossfing spray. Sorry pics aren't great it wont stop raining here in Texas.[/quote]

That looks awesome. I love the blacked out look.
2015 Silverado 1500 LT - All Star Edition - Ruby Red - 5.3L - 4x4 - Blacked Out
Erebus
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Ruby Red LT 5.3l 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AlexBow705 » Apr 23 2016, 5:30pm

Dang
Owner of @AllTerrainTrucks on Instagram!
AlexBow705
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 AllTerrain 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby oly22 » Apr 25 2016, 3:24am

texasterror84, how did you mask around the emblems? They look great. I have never used plastidip before but would like to give this a try.

Nice Truck!
oly22
Year: 2010
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby texasterror84 » Apr 30 2016, 7:15am

oly22 wrote:texasterror84, how did you mask around the emblems? They look great. I have never used plastidip before but would like to give this a try.

Nice Truck!

I bought a plastic drop cloth from Lowe's ($2.98) and then picked up my plasti dip from Autozone. Cheaper than the online guys. Lastly i just taped it off with painters tape. The rest was history. As we speak I'm doing the z71 emblem on my front grille I will post a pic when i'm done.
texasterror84
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby texasterror84 » Apr 30 2016, 7:56am

Here is the pic of my front grill emblem. Sorry the truck is dirty I just installed the TRS Morimoto HID's and decided to complete the grill emblem at the same time.
Attachments
Front Grill 1.jpg
Front Grill 1.jpg (59.59 KiB) Viewed 378 times
texasterror84
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
PreviousNext

Return to Exterior