jQuery not supported.

Body Mount Bolt Nut

Body Mount Bolt Nut

Postby Elvira [OP] » Jul 14 2011, 7:32pm

Nightmare scenario! While putting on step brackets with hand tools, the center body mount bolt nut (hidden) on top broke, so the bolt cannot be secured. Working with Dealer, but if anyone has experienced this situation, I sure would appreciate the Help!!!
Original Poster
Elvira
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 6.2L 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Body Mount Bolt Nut

Postby 2011 HD » Aug 06 2011, 2:27am

I had the same thing happened. The dealership sent the truck to the bodyshop and they rewelded the nut. There is an access panel under the carpet from what they told me. It didn't cost me a thing - except time.
2011 HD
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fenn » Aug 09 2011, 6:58pm

Some of the trucks have a access panel if you pull up the carpenting, it should be right by the drivers seat belt. If there isn't a access panel look for the 4 welds for the cage that the nut is in and drill a 1 1/4 hole there with a hole saw but and you can put a socket on there or re weld it.

there is a tsb out for this with directions
fenn
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Year: 2008
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bosspaige » Mar 16 2012, 3:18am

I know this post is older but was hoping there was more info on it out there....My friends husband was putting on my step bars for me and he said the center drivers side bolt is just spinning like it is broken....My truck is not even 2 months old. Think there is anyway this would be covered under warranty? Seems weird that even if he did it, that you could break this size bolt with a handtool. Sounds like it is an expensive fix if it is coming out of my pocketbook!! Might have to put my damsel in distress attitude on ;)
bosspaige
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2011 HD » Mar 16 2012, 5:08am

Yes, mine was covered under the warranty. or u could use the access panel under the carpet.
2011 HD
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Mar 16 2012, 6:03am

According to what I read at least on the Silverado 1500s you have to drill a hole in the cab floor. This is what the TSB states.

Many people have stated this is covered under warranty. Personally, I don't see how. You break a bolt installing a non-factory running board to the body mount bolts. (The GM/Chevy ones bolt to the rocker panels). But if it is covered that's a brownie point for GM.
CKNSLS
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 19
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby eafd22 » Mar 20 2012, 3:17am

My center nut broke free from the weld. Called up my local dealer, took it in that same day and in 45 minutes they had it fixed. They drilled a 1 1/4 hole under neath, they had to take a 3/4 inch impact gun and a wrench with a breaker bar on the end of it to break the lock tight free. All of it was covered under warranty. A definite plus for GM.
eafd22
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Year: 2006
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.6 duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exterior