jQuery not supported.

Chrome front bumper end caps

NNBS 1500 and 2500 differences

Postby idahorzrbck [OP] » Jun 25 2011, 11:38am

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Silverado Crew Cab LT 4x4 and I've been admiring the all chrome look on the NNBS 2500 Silverados for a while now. Like any hot rodder soul, I dream of setting myself apart from the crowd but the reality is my budget does not have much margin for errors.

Has anyone tried to swap NNBS 2500 front bumper end caps (or any other bumper parts) onto a 1500 front end? The only differences I have been able to see, without dropping into full stalker mode with a tape measure, is the grilles appear to be deeper on the 2500 but this may be an optical illusion.

I have an LMC catalog with a rough drawings that show me that other than the support brackets, I don't really see the differences unless there's a complete body line that will miss on the aligment. No separate part numbers listed for the valence panel, the center main bumper or stock headlight assemblies.

Any additional info here or links to 'other' sites would be greatly appreciated...

-idahorzrbck
Original Poster
idahorzrbck
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: CC 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Chrome front bumper end caps

Postby burls » Jun 25 2011, 10:39pm

I highly doubt the bumper caps from a 2500 will fit a 1500 bumper. 1/2 ton models use a different bumper/grille/hood combo than the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.
Burls
14 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 4x4 Double Cab
12 Silverado 1500 Z-71 4x4 Ext. Cab (Traded)
11 Silverado 1500 Z-71 4x4 Ext. Cab(Traded)
05 Silverado 1500 Z-71 Ext. Cab(Traded)
04 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Reg Cab 2wd SB (SOLD)
burls
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3L Z-71 4x4 D-Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jun 25 2011, 11:32pm

burls wrote:I highly doubt the bumper caps from a 2500 will fit a 1500 bumper. 1/2 ton models use a different bumper/grille/hood combo than the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.

Well, that's not even a problem, although I would beg to differ. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks biggest difference is everything under the body i.e. suspension, tranny, engine, etc. The biggest h/a I see is the bumper itself. Now, my local off road accessory shop could have been trying to screw me out of some labor costs, but when I inquired about a body lift for my 2009 Chevy, he stated that the price was high because the front bumper came in like 26 pieces. I haven't check this out to observe the veracity of his statement, but just figured he was right and eventually did a leveling kit instead.

The great deal for an auto manufacturing plant is consistency between models. If they can feed all the truck into one final line to add the body and outer accessories, then mass production is doing its part...just my thoughts.
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator (borderline Redneck variety)

Onlyina_Chevy: you've joined back into the Android ranks?
starspangled6.0: can't wait to dump the iphone
starspangled6.0: i was wrong
starspangled6.0: you were right
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 142
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jun 25 2011, 11:40pm

So I just checked out three different web sites for either bumpers or bumper ends. The same part number was given on two of the sites, and the other site listed just Silverado as opposed to 1500, 2500, or 3500.
Onlyina_Chevy

Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby OlSmokie » Jun 26 2011, 3:47am

One of my jobs, when I was on lift truck in the Oshawa truck plant was feeding bumpers to the main line and they all came on the same racks and all looked the same to me. If there is that many parts to them, they must be counting every little screw and clip on them.
OlSmokie
Topics: 29
Year: 1990
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jun 26 2011, 5:28am

Nope, I finally looked it up on line. The bumper itself is one piece, minus fog lamps if equipped, but the way to expose the bolts that connect the bumper to the frame is the tedious part. Lemme quick C & P the directions from this web site:

From eHow.com

If your Chevy Silverado's bumper was damaged in a collision, don't remove it unless you're prepared to install another one, and consider installing a body-kit bumper in place of the stock one. You bolt the bumper onto the frame, but you'll have to deal with other components on the truck's front end in order to remove it. You will also make adjustments in the process if the bumper is broken or otherwise damaged in any areas.

Preparation

Support the bumper from underneath. The floor jack from the truck can work, but raising it on the jack and then supporting it on jack stands will work even better. If the bumper comes equipped with fog lights, disconnect the electrical fittings. Disconnect the negative battery cable before doing this; loosen the clamp nut on the black cable to remove it from the terminal.

Radiator Grille

To remove the bumper properly, remove the radiator grille. Open up the hood and remove the plastic panel covering the radiator by removing the five plastic pushpins securing the panel and lifting it off. Remove the mounting screw that's at the hood latch, then turn each of the grille's fasteners by a quarter turn with a Phillips screwdriver to release them from the radiator support.
Remove the headlight housings by swinging the housing retaining rods forward and pulling them up, then pulling the housing forward and out of the body. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Pull the grille forward sharply at the left and right ends to disengage the clips at each end, then lift the grille off.

Detaching the Bumper

At this point, the jack stand alone won't be enough to support the bumper, so ask an assistant to hold it. With the radiator grille removed, you can access the bolts holding the bumper on the frame. Two upper and two lower bolts are located at the top of the frame. After removing them, move down to the underside of the bumper and remove the bolts that are at each end of the bumper brace. As you and your assistant carefully lift the bumper off of the frame, disconnect any wiring harnesses and other components that get in the way of detaching the bumper.

Direct Link:
Clickity
Onlyina_Chevy

Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby burls » Jun 26 2011, 5:44pm

A 25/3500 nose(bumper hood grille) Will bolt onto a 1500 with little to no modding. The End Caps from a 2500 WILL NOT fit a 1500 with out doing the front end swap(Part #s for swap) . The 3/4 end caps are taller than the 1/2 tons.
3/4 ton front end
1/2 ton
Notice the Difference in grille/bumper location and end caps/grille size 3/4 vs 1/2
Burls
14 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 4x4 Double Cab
12 Silverado 1500 Z-71 4x4 Ext. Cab (Traded)
11 Silverado 1500 Z-71 4x4 Ext. Cab(Traded)
05 Silverado 1500 Z-71 Ext. Cab(Traded)
04 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Reg Cab 2wd SB (SOLD)
burls
Topics: 6
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3L Z-71 4x4 D-Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby idahorzrbck [OP] » Jul 07 2011, 6:49pm

Thanks for the responses and some fresh leads on info on my ride.

Didn't mean to delay on the reply, vacation happens...

-idahorzrbck
Original Poster
idahorzrbck
Topics: 1
Extra Info: CC 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rainbow1616 » Dec 09 2011, 10:42pm

Actually I just did my 1500 not too long ago. I bought 2 chrome bumber end caps new from ebay with the foglights. They are not that hard to change at all just crawl under and remove like 5 or so bolts and some plastic pushpins. I can look at the receipt if you need the gm part numbers.
Rainbow1616
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 21
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby XKillerEliteX » Feb 10 2012, 5:35am

Rainbow1616 wrote:Actually I just did my 1500 not too long ago. I bought 2 chrome bumber end caps new from ebay with the foglights. They are not that hard to change at all just crawl under and remove like 5 or so bolts and some plastic pushpins. I can look at the receipt if you need the gm part numbers.

you got pics of that
2.5 Rough Country Level/Lift
BFG All Terrain Tires 285/70/17's on stock rims
ARE Hardshell Tonneau Cover
ATA Side Step Nerf Bars
Ventshade In Channel Vent Visors
20% Front Window Tint Matched With Stock Tint
5% Windshield Eye Brow Tint
XKillerEliteX
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 LT2 4.8L V8 Z85
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Exterior