Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Door seal noise

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  123456789 
#1 ·
My door seals make noise when driving my 2009 Silverado Extra Cab 2 WD on rough pavement or dirt roads.

Is there a way to tighten my door latches to reduce this noise?

Is there any other options to help reduce the noise form the seals?

#2 ·
My 2012 extended cab does the same thing. I had the dealer look at it and they tried adjusting the doors, but it didn't stop. If you apply silicone to the weather strips it will probably go away for a few days (mine does). There was a TSB from GM that addressed this on ealier model years, but it wasn't extended for 09-13. I bought the tape referenced in this TSB and need to install it.

#06-08-64-035E: Squeak/itching Noise in Upper Door Area (Install Squeak Reduction Tape) - (Apr 9, 2008)

Subject:Squeak/Itching Noise In Upper Door Area (Install Squeak Reduction Tape)

Models:2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

This bulletin is being revised to add the pickup models, remove the part number and change the procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-64-035D (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

Condition
Do ThisDon't Do This
Install 3M™ Squeak Reduction TapeDo NOT replace the roof drip weatherstrip.

Some customers may comment on a squeaking or itching noise in the upper door area when driving.
Cause
This condition may be caused by the roof drip weatherstrip to door frame contact. This could occur at any or all of the doors.
Correction

Install 3M™ Squeak Reduction Tape. Clean the top of all door frames and install 3M™ Squeak Reduction Tape 5430, P/N 06356.
Parts Information
Purchase 3M™ Squeak Reduction Tape locally.
Material Allowance is $10.71 (USD) per roll.
Two rolls per vehicle are needed.
Part NumberDescription
063563M™ Squeak Reduction Tape 5430

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor OperationDescriptionLabor Time
C9845*Install Squeak Reduction Tape0.3 hr
*This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

#4 ·
I ordered a silicone lube made by GM just for the door weather strips, got it on ebay. Works well and really quiets the noise on the rough roads. It also keeps the doors from freezing up where the weather strip meets the top of the door. It has also worked wonders on my wife's kia
van, those dang sliding doors always freeze shut in the winter. The stuff tends to collect dust where the weather strips meet the metal but it is easily cleaned with a little silicone sprayed on a rag

#5 ·
While I have used the GM dielectric silicone grease, part number 12345579 on the weatherstripping, dielectric tuneup grease also works well and is available at most auto parts stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.