Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Ebay Nerf Bars?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  CheezyRiderAZ 
#1 ·
I've got an 07 Sierra CC that I recently bought and I wanna put a set of nerf bars on it. I was looking around a few sites as well as Ebay and I found a set that are priced very affordable and I don't see anything different really between these and a namebrand set off another site. Here's a link to the set i'm looking at : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmd ... MEWAXQ3aIT

Take a look and give me your opinions on what the difference/downside of these versus a namebrand set as this will be my first set of nerf bars and don't really know if there is anything specific I need to be looking for.

#3 ·
Some concerns about mounting to the body bolts which hold the cab to the frame. Apparently GM is using one heck of a loctite to make sure the bolts don't work loose. As a result when you try to remove them the welded on nuts in the cab break loose and its a difficult repair.

I just ordered a set of Raptors that mount to the rocker panel.

#6 ·
I've got a set I ordered from EBay or Amazon and they are from if I recall right Stainless Steel Truck Parts, or something to that extent anyway. They are alright, have a little noise from them and they mount to the body bolts. I didn't have any issues with the loktight or welded on nuts breaking loose or anything along those lines with my '07, not saying all '07s are that way either. I've been thinking of replacing mine with a name brand that has a better mounting set up sometime when I have the extra cash to do so.

#7 ·
Sorry guys, I haven't been able to get on here in a few days. I did a little more looking around and reading reviews on other step bars and from what I keep seeing is reviews from people that have and installed the step bars that mount to the body bolts and developed a knocking noise from them when turning, accelerating, and braking and this was from a very reputable namebrand. I don't know if this is normal but it makes me lean more towards the type that bolts to the frame, I just don't see many of them. I had a set of Westin nerf bars on my 01 Z71 and loved em, never had any noises or anything like that but they were already on the truck when I bought it.

#8 ·
I was able to order the new rocker panel mount Raptor 4 inch ovals from Running Board World but I had to call and ask about them. They were not on their website as of last week.

#9 ·
For what it's worth before I had the Sierra I had an 05 Ram 1500 quad cab that I put step bars on,they were made by NASTA, everything was stainless,bars,all bolt braces and brackets, were on the truck for 4 years and no rust, got them from Runningboardwarehouse.com, I want to say they were only $240 then, they mounted to the body mounts and had braces that went to the frame,just needed wrenches and sockets-no drilling required. Hope this helps, Dave.(Just went to their site and looked at install instructions for your truck and it looks like they mount to the back side of the rocker. I also think that you can call them and ask questions)

#11 ·
SoCalSierra,

I bought a set of new black Westin 6" oval wheel to wheel nerf bars off E-Bay.

They mount to the body bolts AND the body (unibody style tube) in the center but are completely a no drill setup.
No problems installin' by myself and I have NO complaints in 10,000 miles.

Before I bought 'em, I Googled the brand and model I wanted and read probably 30 different reviews on a number of sites including other forums.
I also checked the E-Bay seller's rating and read his feedback from guys who had bought the same bars from him.

One thing to think about is do you want cab length or wheel to wheel?
I spent the extra $ for the wheel to wheel. It sucked at the time but now I don't feel it AND I have the third step to use for reaching into the bed, which I use a lot more than I thought I would.

If I had to do it all over, I'd still buy the wheel to wheel and body mount is OK.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.