Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Exo cage build thread

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  RIPPEDK20 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's been decided. The honey badger is missing just a few things and then it will be done (hopefully I don't change my mind).

The next step is the exocage followed by a snorkel. I figured it would be easier to mount the snorkel with the exo cage on first so this build is coming before that build.

Below are two scratches I made in paint of what I want the exocage to look like.
Exocage scratch 1.jpg

Exocage scratch 2.jpg

As you can see It's not going to be as extensive as other exo builds I want to still be able to work and maintain this beast while having the protection of a cage. First things first is I need pipes and a pipe bender and I'll be embarking on purchasing both of these very soon so I can get this welded for the spring mud time. My buddy is a master welder so he will be helping me along the way and ensuring I do things correctly. The KC daylighters will be moved to the front of the cab off of the weatherguard rack. this will give me more light with them and the light wont be caught on my tow mirror and blind me while wheeling lol. of course some things may not go to plan but I will keep updating this thread as it happens. Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Joey

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This will be a sweet build for sure! Ive seen exo-cages on jeeps but I've never seen one on an NBS let alone a rado. Ill be following this build for sure! Good Luck!

#5 ·
I would tie in a grille guard honestly, it will strengthen the front half of the cage as well as give some extra protection!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
ttc-2013-2003-chevy-1500hd-01.jpg

This is the only 03-07 I've seen with an exocage. I wish I could fit some bars between the doors but this would delete my extended cab and I wouldn't be able to fill my truck with my "squad".

Went to home depot last night and picked up a Milwaukee tape measure (I'll only ever use Milwaukee), they had a 25ft and 16 ft for $25 or just the 25ft for $25 so I obviously got the two pack. I've already found some problem areas while taking measurements. Where I was hoping to weld the pipe up the fender and over the windshield is right where the body mount is, of course that would be in the way so I have to find some form of work around for this. I cant weld on either side of the body mount because it would get in the way of my door opening, and my truck is too high to dukes of hazard it, or my tire will rub on it no matter what. Brainstorming some ideas with my welding buddy on how to approach that.

As for the grille guard and cross beams over the bumper. I'm trying to find a way to do both of these without interfering with function of the vehicle. It would be exceptionally hard for me to get my lights out with a permanent grille guard and I have no idea how to open the hood with a cross beam unless I do it right at the bend on the fender which might look a little silly but I'll so some more sketches to see. Maybe I could do the cross beam like in the pic above but I don't want that to get in the way of visibility and I'm sure I would get a hard time for it with cops and inspections.

For protection I think I'm going to bed liner the bars so it wont rust especially in the salty salty lands of New Hampshire.

More updates as I keep going with this.

Attachments

#10 ·
Subscribed! where in NH are you? im in atkinson. if you need a hand let me know, i would love to see this thing come together.

#13 ·
Small update. My buddy who's a master welder and I have to meet sometime soon to go over the logistics of this, unfortunately I need to use a higher grade pipe then I was planning which obviously means more money. We also need to determine where the best weld spots are, so we can make sure this exo cage will actually be functional and not just for aesthetics. Still searching for a pipe bender, while it would be easier to just take it to a fabricator, that would cost a whole lot more money than I'd want to spend on this project, and I'd like the experience and the ability to be able to say I did it myself. More updates soon as I figure all this crap out.

#14 ·
You're probably already aware of the JD2 benders, but just in case...http://www.jd2.com/c-12-tubepipe-benders.aspx
That's probably the best, affordable bender around. Wish I had got that, instead of this...http://www.lowbucktools.com/hydbender.html But it has worked well. It's main negative is it won't bend past 90 degrees. I believe the JD2 will do 180, but I can't find it stating that.

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

#15 ·
You may want to factor in many feet of tubing thats going to get messed up, Chormoly tubing would be best , DOM tubing is also good. id shoot for minimum .120 wall. and the more bracing you do at the welds and corners the better (within reason). I wish i took a picture of the 4Runner down the road before he sold it. i put an exo cage on it. took a long while. Have to factor in such things like mirror vision and doors opening properly. and not having it 3" away from the body.

just throwing out some tid bits for you

#16 ·
Another user on here I think his name is red16 sent me a link to some tubing at that gauge DOM tube to be exact. I figure about 80 feet to do it completely but I'm gonna order 100 feet so I have 20 feet for mistakes and after thoughts, hopefully I dont make too many mistakes. I'm gonna be doing a lot of tests to make sure everything works before I throw it on but I'm bringing all those things such as mirror vision and doors into consideration. Thanks for the advice Greg! How did you bend your pipes?

#17 ·
Ibdont have a cage on my current truck..yet.. on previous truck builds I used a hydraulic bender at my buddies shop. you really dont want a harbor freight bender for this. You can use a manual bender, it is just going to take alot more effort and time.. remeber you have to over bend them to get the degree you want. The pipe will flex back. How are you going to fishmouth the ends? Do you have a bench drill or notcher? Places like ruff stuff specialties, and WFO have pre made and notched brace tubes to make it easier.. you should also get some gusset tabs

#18 ·
Do not get a harbor freight or similar pipe bender, it will kink. You're bending tubing, not pipe.

Here's some of what I did with my Low Buck bender.

Took me 3 tubes to get 2 that were a like...

Not trying to hijack, just showing what an affordable bender can do.

#19 ·
There used to be some talented guys in Plaistow.Skip's Garage,and D&G chassis builders.Used to mud race with those guys.Dave Ray,built some real bad-ass Ford powered rigs.Not sure if those guys are still around,they would have the tubing you need.John Lancaster/Bump&Grind body shop,also.Used to be a hotbed down there.
It takes some talent,and tooling to do what you want.Too bad I am not closer,I would love to help.

#21 ·
I would suggest getting some PVC, a bunch of different fittings and maybe even a PVC heating blanket. That way you can make yourself templates and do a "rough fit" with PVC to get your lengths and angles right, before jumping into steel fabrication.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.