Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

first post - frame rust removal help, tips and advice please

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Silvery13 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post so here goes. I live in Ontario Canada and we use a ton of salt on the roads during the winter. I just bought an 08' 1500 and it looks as though it has never had an undercoat treatment and its starting to show a lot of surface rust on the frame etc. This weekend I was planning to try my hand at removing and applying a rust prevention paint. My plan was to go at it with a wirebrush and wheel, clean it up with some degreaser and cleaner, and then apply a rust proofing paint such as chassis saver or por15. Ive never done anything like this, and I want to make sure I get best results I can first try. Hoping to spend as little as possible but do a decent job too. If anyone has any tips or experience on the process or products i'd really appreciate the help. Thanks.

#2 ·
Get 2 gallons of WD40 and 2 gallons bug spray bottle. Cardboard boxes to catch drips from spray the frame with WD40. Let is soak then spray some 409 and use a long brush ( not metal one) to clean it up, then use a air compressor or garden blower to dry it out. Final is to use UNDERCOATING Paint Brush style not rust prevention . Undercoatinglast a lot longer and stronger than rust prevention.

#3 ·
OP, do as you stated with the wire brush and degreaser and then use the por-15 or chasis saver. Then apply a good a couple layers of undercoat to the frame to cover the paint.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Lots of good advice here.

To remove my rust spots I used a whole bunch of WD-40 and an orbital sander with metal grade sand paper and worked like a charm.

I have used a grinder to get REALLY bad areas on my brothers truck, we picked the grinder up at Harbor freight for 18 bucks when it was on sale. It broke twice during the job since it was a POS but we just took it back to the store and got it replaced with a new one each time :D

GL

#6 ·
jcertain said:
OP, do as you stated with the wire brush and degreaser and then use the por-15 or chasis saver. Then apply a good a couple layers of undercoat to the frame to cover the paint.
Okay u r higher level of quality. Yes that would be a better way to go. If u have rust where metal is flaking off yes use wire brush that area, if u just have rust on it where u just wipe off then use hard non metal brush, you don't want scratch up the brakelines, wires, stuff like that. The reason why I use WD40 it easier to wash off than degreaser.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.