Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Frame rust/black wax peeling off frame

30K views 76 replies 31 participants last post by  Midnightblack 
#1 ·
Hello. I have a nbs 2007 crew. Love the truck only have 32,000 miles on it and for the past 3 years i have been noticing that black frame wax severly peeling off which now shows rust on frame rails ect. Any undercoat recomendations that i can do to make it look a little more pleasing to look at? has anyone else noticed this problem? Thanks!!!

#4 ·
An other product that you could use is por-15, its a bit pricy but you won't have rust again with the proper prep work.

#5 ·
thanks for all the input. Im going to be making an appointment to have ziebart do an undercoat process because they are running a special. Ill advise on how it turns out. I may keep a can of por-15 on hand for touch ups. I wouldnt care so much about this if i wasnt planning on keeping the truck but i plan on running it for a long time if it lasts. thanks!

#10 ·
at ziebart the undercoat was $180 and the rustproofing was 200. I was going to just do the undercoat but they were offering 100 bucs off the rustproof so i had it all done right away.I will also work on some pics to post. Pretty much looks like the gm factory stuff but a little thicker and much more durable. That factory stuff washes right off after a underbody flush :(

#12 ·
here are some pictures of what i had done. which is the same as ziebart
the first one is of a previous spot of rust and it was fixed and coated all the way down the edge of the truck, then the other pictures are of the frame and front suspension

#14 ·
the truck held up really well over this past winter after i got that ziebart done..it survived a lot of underbody flushes ect..it did however peel in some areas by the frame crossmembers underneath and side of frame.. For the heck of it i decided to spray some as seen on tv "flex seal" on the spots..it works better than any undercoating ive put on before..i figured since it was black and rubberized that it may work..very durable..just wanted to pass the secret along!!! I see that some brand new trucks on the lot (2012s) are already peeling..that stinks :(

#15 ·
so for the hell of it, i decided to scrape off as much of the already peeling factory undercoating as possible, and spray the visible parts of the frame rails with plasti-dip. Figure it works on almost every other application, why not try a frame. It has yet to endure and real abuse, so i will be curious to see how it holds up. ill keep yinz updated....

#16 ·
I just put some Por15 on the underside bed of my truck today. Wish i took before and after pics but i was already in the process and to lazy to stop and get a camera, Looks great so far, going to put on a second coat tomorrow, im doing a section at a time, its tedious work! but all worth it, looks so much better/ I used a top coast of Chassis spray make it look normal and not shiny

#18 ·
Service Information

2012 GMC Truck Sierra - 2WD | Cheyenne, Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | Document ID: 2885125
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PI0564B: Wax Coating on Frame Peeling, Metal Shows Corrosion/Rusting - (Jun 29, 2012)

Subject:

Wax Coating on Frame Peeling, Metal Shows Corrosion/Rusting

Models:

2011-2013 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2011-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2011-2013 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being revised to add models and model years. Please discard PI0564A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that areas of the frame wax coating are peeling off and rust/corrosion is visible on the metal in these areas. Several examples of this condition are shown in the graphics below:

Recommendation/Instructions

A specialized metal coating product, Rust Bullet®, has been found to be the most suitable product to provide corrosion control and protection to address this type of repair. Our recommendation is to use the Rust Bullet® Automotive Formula* and the Rust Bullet BlackShell®* and that they must be applied according to the manufacturer's procedures.
Important: To ensure proper coating performance, all of the manufacturer's "Applications Guidelines" MUST be followed.

Prep the frame and apply the Rust Bullet® Automotive Formula and the Rust Bullet BlackShell® coatings following the steps below:

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.

Remove any of the visible white labels on the frame (usually one per side), if labels are in the area to be reworked.

Determine a start and finish point on each side for the section/area of the frame to be repaired.

Using a rag and wax/grease removing solvent, remove the wax coating from the truck frame in the designated repair area. The graphic above shows an example of a small portion of the wax coating removed.

Important: Rust Bullet® coatings have strong adhesion qualities that provide outstanding results with little or no surface preparation prior to application. Rust Bullet® is designed to apply directly onto rusted or clean surfaces; however it is recommended to remove any loose flakes/scale of rust prior to application.

Any loose rust or loose flakes should be scraped, wire brushed or ground off.

Remove any residual wax, oil or rust by wiping the frame down with a Scotch-Brite™ pad and wax/grease remover.

Important: The frame must be dry and free of wax/oily substances prior to application of the new coating.

Use an air hose to blow dry the frame.

Important: Protective clothing, gloves and eye protection are recommended during set up, application and clean up; it is extremely difficult to remove Rust Bullet® coatings from your skin after about 20 minutes. Also, pay close attention to the proper ventilation and stirring procedures outlined in the "Applications Guidelines."

Note: Rust Bullet® coatings may be applied by brush, roller or spray equipment. The brush on application is recommended for this type of repair.

Important: A second coat of Rust Bullet® Automotive coating must be applied to completely seal the first coat. Before applying the second coat, the first coat must be completely dry (approximately two to four hours) and should not be wet or tacky.

Apply two coats of the Rust Bullet® Automotive Formula by brush to all rusted and bare areas of the frame where the wax coating was removed. Ensure the first coat is allowed to completely dry before applying the second coat.

After following the manufacturer's suggested optimum drying time for the two coats of Rust Bullet® Automotive Formula, brush on one or two coats of the Rust Bullet BlackShell® coating as required to achieve desired appearance. Though referenced as gloss black, the BlackShell® coating dries to a low gloss appearance.

Lower the vehicle and allow the final coat to dry as recommended by the manufacturer.

Parts Information

Obtain Rust Bullet® Automotive and Rust Bullet BlackShell® and the "Application Guidelines" by contacting the website at http://www.rustbullet.com, or by calling 1-800-245-1600*. A pint can of each product will cover approximately 25 square feet as described in this PI, which should cover both sides of the center/low visual areas of the truck frame. A quart, covering approximately 50 square feet, would be necessary if extended lengths or a full frame were repaired.

Dealers in Canada: The Canadian distributor of Rust Bullet BlackShell® is KAP Corrosion Control and Servicing (kapcor.ca). Canadian orders may be placed by contacting Certified Tool & Supply Ltd. at 780-434-8711.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for, or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use Labor Operation below and include material cost.

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

B9978*

Remove Frame Wax, Apply Metal Coating

Use Actual Clock Time

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2012 General Motors. All rights reserved.

#21 ·
burls said:
An other product that you could use is por-15, its a bit pricy but you won't have rust again with the proper prep work.
I got a quote to do my truck for $300.00 and they will do the whole frame in POR-15. Is that reasonable?

#23 ·
Boucher187 said:
burls said:
I got a quote to do my truck for $300.00 and they will do the whole frame in POR-15. Is that reasonable?
Yes, $160 or so for a gallon of por 15 and the rest for labour. But, nobody on this site should be paying to have someone else do it, were GM drivers we do things ourselves, common people ;)
I don't know if the people doing this for you know that our frames come with a rubber type frame coating, taking this off alone is hours and hours of work. I hope they don't just slap on that por 15 over the stuff.

It took me about 10 hours just to get the rubber coating that's on the frame off then I used Rust Mort by SEM, and paint.

#24 ·
Wow. 10 hours to just get the rubber off. With two small kids I just don't have the time to get that all done. Is it OK is I still have 80% of the rubberized material that GM has on from dealer? Can I just spray 3M Rubberized over the areas that are peeled off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
Just for the heck of it I crawled under a new 2014......and what do you know..more brown spots near the frame rails..looks like gm still hasn't figured this out..same waxy material..and apparently this new truck went over millions of hours of rugged tests..but they couldn't figure out or see that their frame peeled off???? Very dissapointing

#26 ·
Boucher187 said:
Wow. 10 hours to just get the rubber off. With two small kids I just don't have the time to get that all done. Is it OK is I still have 80% of the rubberized material that GM has on from dealer? Can I just spray 3M Rubberized over the areas that are peeled off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No absolutely not, you have to get it as clean as possible. If you want to do it that way then get some of this http://www.royalsupply.com/store/pc/Dup ... -c2184.htm, then 3M it, its still a half ass job, but will last longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.